New build -Concrete recently poured - Is this rebar normal?

Jun 8, 2016
Tampa
Hi All - I'm posting this on behalf of my parents. They're in the process of having a new pool built and are wondering if they should be concerned about the amount of rebar protruding through the newly poured concrete?
The response from the builder was that these parts would be "coated with hydraulic cement" and then eventually be finished with Diamond Bright. Just want to make sure this wont be a problem for them down the road.
Neither of us have any experience with new in ground pool builds and thus wanted to get some opinions. See pictures below. Thank you in advance!
IMG_5029.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4990.jpeg
    IMG_4990.jpeg
    731.2 KB · Views: 41
Err..... can you circle the areas with rebar? Is it those areas with the red paint? Most rebar is covered by 2" plus of gunite and not that close to the surface. Probably the rebar was done sloppy. I would assume as long as it is covered it will be ok and not rust through.

Bring up the issue with your builder. From the one piece I can see, I'm afraid the rebar will leach rust and create a stain on your plaster. I'm not an expert in this area but would think they will have to chip the area out, tie in new rebar and cement over. The rebar should be in the middle of the cement, not on the surface.

Err..... can you circle the areas with rebar? Is it those areas with the red paint? Most rebar is covered by 2" plus of gunite and not that close to the surface. Probably the rebar was done sloppy. I would assume as long as it is covered it will be ok and not rust through.
The builder has asked my parents to "mark" the rebar, so yes, that's the red marks you see. Apparently they've already been out one time with grinders to cut some of it out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.