CC1248

May 19, 2024
Attica, Indiana
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We just had our pool installed and haven't been in it yet. Kids are coming home for Memorial Day weekend and I am struggling. I bought a Taylor 9 way and had my water tested at a hardware store and here is what I have. Water looks clear. I have scale I am scrubbing off the waterline. I have been struggling with high PH and low chlorine. Here are my test numbers.
FC = 3-6
TC= 2-4.
TC-FC = CC (So is CC -1 to -2?).
PH: 7.5
TA: 260
CH (mine turned a pale purple at drop 17 and didn't turn blue but stayed purple at 18-19, so thought that may be it): So, 180?
CYA: I could even see it faintly at 30

At the hardware store 4 days ago, they had the following:
FC: .08
TC: .08
CC: 0
PH 8.1
Alkalinity: 228
Adjusted Alkalinity: 215
CH: 99
CYA: 38
Iron: 0
Copper: 0

After those readings, I did 5lbs of PH Down, followed by 1lb of Cal-Shock
By yesterday morning, I was back up to 8.1 PH and TC near 0.
Last night I did 5lb of PH Down
6.3 Oz (per pool math) of Cal-Shock this morning.
64 oz of Calcuim Hardner (per pool math) after the new readings (posted at top)

The TA is really high. I have scale at the waterline (I guess due to the high PH) I've read in the forum that can be due to the water source put in a new pool, just taking time to settle. I am buying liquid chlorine today to begin adding a daily dose. Any advice on what that maintenance amount should be as a starting point for me to use/test? Should I begin a maintenance dose of PH down too because of the high Alkalinity?

Also, I have a variable speed pump. It defaults to 8am @3,000 RPM for 2 hours, 10am-8pm 1400 RPM for 10 hours, and 8pm -10pm 2200 for 2 hours, then pause until 8am. Is that sufficient? And it should be on filter setting, normally, correct? I am running it at 3,000 on circulate while adding treatments.

I want to be able to swim over the holiday weekend. Help appreciated!

Last edited:
Welcome to TFP.
Buying LC is a good idea as it raises FC levels quickly. Purchase at Walmart or Home Depot. Try to find 10%. Using the Pool Math app - add sufficient LC to raise your FC to 5ppm and try to hold it there. I used 10,150 gals, 10% LC and PM app showed that FC would raise 4.9ppm with 64 ozs (1/2 gal).
So with a CYA of 30, I would add the half gal today, then tomorrow morning test again the FC level. Plan to add at least a quart a day, even more if you will have swimmers. Only worry about FC level - not interested in TC.
The goal is to keep 5ppm of FC in the pool. Ok to go up to 10ppm - it will not affect anything and still ok to swim.

For pH, you need to be careful not to tank your pH below 7.0. It needs to remain in the 7’s. Overtime your TA will come down but don’t focus on that right now. Just keep testing and ensure pH is in 7’s. As it rises to 8.0 then dose with acid to lower to 7.4 or so.

Your pump times are fine for now. Waiting 30 mins after adding chemicals to swim.

This is an article on TA & pH. There are other articles on individual TA and pH as well in the Wiki (top left of forum menu)

We do not advocate the use of dry acid. According to PM app the addition of 5lbs can sink pH so be careful.
Using muractic acid works well. Just take note of the strength that you purchase so you can use the proper one in PM app.

The next thing you want to address is CYA. You should target 50ppm of CYA. You can purchase liquid or granular stabilizer (liquid tends to cost more) but both are equally effective. Home Depot sells good granular stabilizer. Add half what you need to raise it to 50, wait 2 days and test again to bring it up to 50. You do not want to overshoot. CYA is an acid as well so it will have some downward effect on pH and TA.

As stated earlier. Focus on FC level and the UV as well as swimmers will burn off the FC quicker with a low CYA so keep testing FC every morning and raise it to 5ppm. Test also after swimming because FC will get consumed with sweat, and other bacteria so you will need to add FC after swimming as well. So buy lots of LC at the store if you plan to have a heavy bather load this weekend.

I had to look up what a Taylor 9 way test kit did. It shows to be a K-1005. It will test pH, TA, CH and CYA suitably but not very good at testing free chlorine (FC) as it only goes up to 5ppm. You really need a proper test for FAS/DPD test for FC levels.
I suggest you purchase this additional test kit at TFTESTKITS.net

I had to look up what a Taylor 9 way test kit did. It shows to be a K-1005. It will test pH, TA, CH and CYA suitably but not very good at testing free chlorine (FC) as it only goes up to 5ppm. You really need a proper test for FAS/DPD test for FC levels.
I suggest you purchase this additional test kit at TFTESTKITS.net
I appreciate your help! This is exactly what I needed.