lexi4nuget

Jul 6, 2021
Southwest Indiana
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I am a new inground pool owner. Pool was opened April 2021. Southwest Indiana. Pool is 27,320 gallons. It is currently very clear and looks good. I found this site because upon taking a recent sample of water to my local pool store they advised me that my phosphate was high and that it should be lowered. That led me to start investigating. What has me concerned is that early this season at the advice of another pool owner I added "No Mor Problems". We were noticing collections of dirt/algea looking stuff. We would "shock" vaccum, brush ect and it would be good for a cpl days then return. So we took their advice and tried "No Mor Problems". It was very effective and we have had no more issues. Initially I used 16ozs and have since added an additional 6 ozs. So my question is, what to do now. I would rather not continue to turn my pool in to a bromide pool, although I'm not really sure what the difference is? Am I too late and now must drain and refill? I have been using test strips and taking my water to be tested periodically. What really has me concerned is that the 3 different test strips and simple chlorine/ph test (yellow/red solution) have conflicting results. Everything shows in the "normal" range except the PH and Alkalinity test. 2 of the 3 test strips shows normal Alkalinity and low PH, but he newest strips show the opposite and today the pool store indicated both are low. I currently use and inline chlorinator with 3" chlorine tabs. I have now ordered the TF-100 Test Kit based on this forum.

So what is my path forward? Happy to provide additional information just need to know what to provide.

Southwest Indiana
Pool
17x20 vinyl liner pool - 27,320 gallons
Pentair Superflo VS pump that runs 24x7. 2 hours at 3000, 20 hours at 2000, and 2 hours at 2200
Triton Fiberglass Sand Filter

I'm sorry you found us this way. While ordering the test kit is so far the best thing you've done for your pool, that nasty bromide could be the worst. I don't *think* you've added enough to cause great problem though? If it is, the only solution is to drain and refill, because that stuff is "energized" over and over again by the addition of chlorine.

ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

All I can suggest at this point is to get the test kit and run a full set. GIve us these readings <like this>
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
Salt if applicable

Starting today stop using pucks and granular chlorine products and only use Liquid Chlorine. Sometimes labeled "Liquid Shock". Look at Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart Pool Section..... Put 5ppm of Liquid Chlorine in the pool daily and brush. In your size pool 5ppm of FC is 146 ounces of 12% strength liquid chlorine.

STOP going to pool stores for lousy advice and bad test results. All they want is for you to buy something.

Lets see how your own

Maddie :flower:

I agree with Maddie above. The best thing you did was order the TF-100 before getting too far in the hole. If you follow the TFPC protocols, you'll find that you won't be buying anything other than liquid chlorine and muriatic acid. No "No More Problems" or "Pool Perfect" potions that cost a fortune.

Once you have your test kit, run all the tests and keep reading pool school on this site. You'll learn what each chemical does when you add it to your water and, armed with that information, you'll only be adding what your pool needs when it needs it based on your testing. Pool store testing is unreliable and their advice is even worse most of the time.

Nobody will take care of your pool better than you because you have a vested interest. Once you get a little experience treating your pool, it is very easy with TFPC protocols. You won't get algae, you won't need to shock your pool. You'll be amazed at how easy it is.

Thank you for the responses. Should I use bleech or liquid chlorine or does it matter. Sounds like I will be adding a bit over a gallon a day. What do I do until the test kit arrive. Use test strip and what should I watch out for?

Liquid Chlorine is just a stronger concentration of bleach. Bigger bang for your buck if you can get your hands on it. Regular bleach is fine, as long as it is plain bleach. No additives or improved formulas or anything.

Liquid Chlorine is just a stronger concentration of bleach. Bigger bang for your buck if you can get your hands on it. Regular bleach is fine, as long as it is plain bleach. No additives or improved formulas or anything.
When planing how much to buy keep in mind the stronger the bleach the faster it will deteriorate (not proportional) and how you can keep it cold (preferably below 70, but 50s would be ideal) and protected fome UV/sunlight.

I say go for the 10% liquid chlorine that you can get at Walmart, Home Depot, or Lowes. Just make sure the date on the box isn't over 4 months old. It's coded as 21XXX where XXX is the day of the year (1-365) produced in 2021.

Bleach is ok, but they seem to be following Clorox's lead by adding other additives in them that we don't want in our pool. Clorox has their ColorMax Technology, while the generics usually say something like "with fabric protection." You don't want those. With liquid chlorine you don't have to worry about that and you generally get a better deal on it with higher chlorine strength.

While you wait for your test kit, add 175 oz of 10% liquid chlorine daily. This will keep you in a holding pattern and insure that the water does not get worse. Once you get your kit, post a full set of numbers and we'll go from there.

Here are my numbers. I did not get R-0003 with my order yet due to shortage, but here is what I could test. Keep in mind this was my first time using these test so....the TA would look red going in at about drop #14ish, but not change it. it didn't turn fully red until drop 22. I will re-check them all tomorrow and report.

FC - 4.5ppm
CC - Unable to test
pH - 7.2
TA - 220
CH - forgot to test
CYA - 60

My TA test goes from green (start point) then flashes of pink/red as I add drops, then a solid dull red. Then pink. Then HOT BARBIE PINK!!
I add another drop and the HOT BARBIE PINK doesn't change any more so I don't count that last drop.

Maddie :flower:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Your CYA is OK. Just raise your FC level that you maintain. It should not take more liquid chlorine on a daily basis.

You pH is fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.