Lemonhead

Jun 3, 2020
Middletown NY-211
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I’ve noticed green spots on bottom of pool. Most are about the size of a dime. They easily come up with a rub from my foot with a sock on. I did whole floor with sock and the sides with the brush. I didn’t see anything on sides but brushed anyways. I have a few questions I hope you guys can answer for me.
1. is brushing a routine maintenance thing I should be doing ?
2. If I missed a spot will it spread to the rest of pool ?
3. I slammed the pool after I wiped up spots. Should I backwash the filter also ?
I’m so upset this happened

Brushing is a bi-weekly routine. You have algae growing no doubt and a full set of test results are in order. Slam is a process that needs some time to resolve. Backwashing a filter is called for when its up by 25% from clean filter psi.

Brushing a pool is a routine maintenance item. At least once per week.
If you had algae on the surface, the water is full of algal spores.
Did you follow the SLAM Process? When did you start? What FC level did you Maintain the FC at? What is your CYA level? Did you pass the three criteria for a successful SLAM?

Brushing a pool is a routine maintenance item. At least once per week.
If you had algae on the surface, the water is full of algal spores.
Did you follow the SLAM Process? When did you start? What FC level did you Maintain the FC at? What is your CYA level? Did you pass the three criteria for a successful SLAM?
Just started the slam today. I am guilty of listening to my father in law tell me anything above 3ppm is too high . All season I kept it around 5-8 ppm and no problem. He talked me into lowering it and bam. Algae on pool floor. My cya is 30 to 40 . Funny thing is I tested cc and it went away with 1 drop. I was expecting to have a lot of cc but it isint so . If I happened to miss a spot will it reinfest my whole pool ?

Last edited:
Chlorine eradicates algae. Brushing simply breaks it up so the chlorine can kill it.

CC is not a slam dunk yes/no indicator of algae. Not all algae spin off ammonia based compounds. CC is the result of ammonia based compounds being broken down by chlorine.

I hate to ask questions you guys may find silly. However I found algae on bottom of pool liner In small spots here and their. The size of a dime. I brushed it up and started a slam. I just backwashed the filter during slam. I don’t know if that was a bad move or not. And I was also wondering if I should aim the return eye in a more of a down position so the water gets agitated better near the floor. That’s where the spots were . The eye currently is to the right to circulate but it aims towards the surface as well

Brushing at least daily during a SLAM will keep the algae broken up and the chlorine able to get to it.

Backwash your filter when the pressures rises by 25% over clean pressure. A slightly dirty sand filter filters better than a clean one.

Mknauss I feel like I owe you some money for all the info you’ve given me
Better than that ---

We are glad you have found our information helpful. Please, if you can, consider making a donation to TFP
We are staffed by volunteers and are registered as an IRS 501 (c) (3) charity and donations are what keeps the forum operating without advertisements.
Support TFP!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.