New AGP with 1.5hp Pump - 2 intakes vs just the skimmer?

Gopherboy6956

Jun 3, 2020
Fargo, ND
I just setup my new 18' AGP and did the plumbing for pump and filter. After I got the skimmer and return in (the kit is from The Pool Factory) I started filling the remaining water. It seems that unless the skimmer is over half full, the pump is too powerful. It would completely drain the skimmer bucket before the pool could refill it, putting air in the pump and causing it to stop pumping. It's a hayward single speed 1.5hp pump.

After the pool was filled to a little over 1/2 the skimmer height, it would now be able to keep up with the pump. But - the water level is a tiny big higher thann i'd like. So - my question(s) are:

Is this normal? Did I choose too powerful of a pump for a 18'x52" Pool?

If I'm going to add another inlet besides the skimmer - any tips there? I assume I need to drain the pool lower than the location I want to use to keep water from getting inbetween the pool wall and the liner.

Also - bonus question - any recommendations on better returns? This one came with a 1.5" threaded return, but the pool side is a small outlet eyeball that does not rotate.

Thanks!

A 1.5 is powerful, I love a 2 speed or a VS for this exact reason.. You can add another skimmer or another intake, I did a vacuum port and it works great... You can use these fittings and also replace your fitting if you want... You can also get another eyeball but not sure the type of fitting you have..

This is the union to hard pipe fitting that works great, been working in mine for 8 years now.. This will also go in the skimmer if you want a union.. It may also work in your pump but make sure it is a 1.5 inch or 2 inch

This is the 2 inch hard pipe Amazon.com : Praher Union 1-1-2in. MPT x 2in. Slip High Temp 216-906 : Garden & Outdoor

this is the 1.5 inch hard pipe Amazon.com: Custom Molded Products 1.5In Mipx1.5In S Long Union S-S(High-Temp): Garden & Outdoor

Also this cleaner has worked flawless for 7 years, I had to rebuild 2 of the gears last year because it got snagged on a rope I had in the pool.. https://smile.amazon.com/Hayward-W3PVS20JST-Poolvergnuegen-Cleaner-Automatic/dp/B07SS4G8XN

This should get you going...

Reactions: Gopherboy6956
I have a 1.5 hp single speed & if my water is below 1/2 it does the same thing. Simple solution - keep it 1/2 to 2/3 of the way up the skimmer opening. This is the design for effective skimming. Is there a reason you want the water level lower?
on a side note - if i think the water level may go a little too low & I won’t be around (vacation for instance) i just remove the weir door. This allows for some wiggle room with the water level (although skimming action is less effective).

I have a 1.5 2 speed and just a Hayward wide mouth skimmer and it's fine as low as the lower middle screw on the side of the skimmer. I try to keep it at the upper middle screw on the side but it still skims fine higher than that even in low speed.

Attachments

• PXL_20210520_234437198.MP~2.jpg
    PXL_20210520_234437198.MP~2.jpg
    464.2 KB · Views: 5
I forgot to mention that i have two returns (jets) so perhaps that mitigates some of my issue as well but my suction through the skimmer is still crazy strong. If I remove my skimmer basket to dump it a vortex is created & allows it to suck air so i have to work fast or just turn the pump off a second.

Two returns is likely hurting you in this specific situation.

Is there a reason you feel you need two returns and a 1.5hp pump on a pool that's only 6500-7000 gallons?

If I had to go with a single speed pump I would've wanted 3/4hp tops. Maybe even a 1/2hp.

The only reason I ended up with a 1.5 2 speed is the smallest pump the place has was 1hp and I feel that's too big for 8000 gallons.

A 1.5 is powerful, I love a 2 speed or a VS for this exact reason.. You can add another skimmer or another intake, I did a vacuum port and it works great... You can use these fittings and also replace your fitting if you want... You can also get another eyeball but not sure the type of fitting you have..

This is the union to hard pipe fitting that works great, been working in mine for 8 years now.. This will also go in the skimmer if you want a union.. It may also work in your pump but make sure it is a 1.5 inch or 2 inch

This is the 2 inch hard pipe Amazon.com : Praher Union 1-1-2in. MPT x 2in. Slip High Temp 216-906 : Garden & Outdoor

this is the 1.5 inch hard pipe Amazon.com: Custom Molded Products 1.5In Mipx1.5In S Long Union S-S(High-Temp): Garden & Outdoor

Also this cleaner has worked flawless for 7 years, I had to rebuild 2 of the gears last year because it got snagged on a rope I had in the pool.. https://smile.amazon.com/Hayward-W3PVS20JST-Poolvergnuegen-Cleaner-Automatic/dp/B07SS4G8XN

This should get you going...

Hi,
Noticed your pool ladder in the pic. Do you happen to remember the brand?
Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yeah, my current single speed 3/4 HP gives me great circulation, so for my new 2 speed I went with 1HP.

I have the Confer entry system, stairs on both sides, and I made the mistake of using sand. Here is the inside when I pulled them to use them in my new pool, and this is after hours of cleaning them. I finally got them cleaned out using gallons of bleach and a strong hose jet, but I was literally gagging at what came out. So I am preaching - NEVER USE SAND!!

I drilled a bunch of holes and threw them in. I haven’t done weights yet, so they do move a bit, but are surprisingly useable just allowing water to fill them. I have my return eyeball pointed at them.

445A0006-9D79-4A49-A181-FFAF6A9A121A.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.