New Acid Pump/Ph Controller

Frank Rizzo

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
Nov 13, 2015
Woodland Hills, CA
My pool has in-floor cleaning, SWG and a Solaxx acid dosing system, so it is as close to "maintenance free" as one can get.

Untill...my Solaxx acid pump and controller started to go haywire. The peristaltic tube wore out, rollers got weak and the duckbill valve started to leak. Well...Solaxx discontinued their PhTek controller and no longer support it. It uses an Italian controller (sorry, the brand escapes me) so I found them on the web emailed them and go no response. Ive gotten used to low maintenance so I stated searching for a new acid pump and controller.

I found a really neat dosing pump made by Hanna Instruments called the BL 100. They do not stock them, they are made when you order so It took about 3 or 4 weeks to receive. They sell direct from their website and the guy I spoke with on the phone was very helpful, we even ordered couple of spare parts like the tube, checkvalve and even another probe.

I installed it a couple of weeks ago and I really like it. It has proportional control and the set point goes to two decimal points, and has kept the Ph perfect since install. The display is green backlit when everything is OK, but turns red if it goes out of your high/low/over run parameters. It also has dry alarm contacts and a level switch contact to keep the pump from running if the tank is low. The Ph probe ready the Ph and temperature that is dispayed on the controller. Everything comes with its own a signed certificate of calibration. It is a neat piece of kit if you ask me.

Since I was replacing an existing pump set up, it was realtively straightforward for me. I used the old tank and ran a new injector line and check valve. I bought a cutting board from Wally World to mount the new controller on the slumpstone block. Its wired into my Jandy system so it is programmed to run with the main pump via the iAquaLink just like the Solaxx was.
closeuppump.JPG
Probe
phprobe.JPG
Controller and Ph probe
newpump.JPG

Old Solaxx pump
oldpump.JPG
Anyhow...if anyone is looikng for an acid dosing pump and controller, I give thumbs up to the Hanna BL 100.

I have a basic vinyl lined IG pool, 24k gallons, nothing fancy, with a SWG. I keep my water in line with recommend TFP levels, with the pH set at 7.5 and usually go through two gallons of muriatic acid over a 4 month season. Before the CAT 1000 I was still using about the same. I do confirm the sensor reading with the drop test a few times a season to be sure it doesn't need calibration. I top off the pool once a week with about 1-2" of well water due to evaporation. Don't know if that would cause high pH.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.