New 24' round above ground. Getting started correctly?

24round

Jun 25, 2019
Raleigh, NC
Hello. Thursday we get our new 24' pool installed. The initial water source is well water, which is clear, odor-free and tested drinkable, but I've never tested for iron/minerals. We have no treatment on the well water (softener, filter, etc.).

The installers will use the hose. Then I plan to run the hose overnight. The next day we have water delivery coming, but only a single truck. I don't know how much is in a 'truckload', but was told we'd need two trucks.

I went with one truck to save $250.

I plan to top off with well water. I did buy a 10" Hayward Bobby, since I'll want it for top-offs anyway.

What test kit should I get right away to keep things in balance?

I'm not new to pools, but haven't had one in 10 years, and never had one with well-water before.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!
If you can, get your well water tested now. Especially for iron.
Order a TF-100
The only other real option for a test kit is a Taylor K-2006-C. Be careful comparing prices because the K-2006 comes in sizes, designated by a letter. The basic K-2006 has .75oz bottles. You need to get the K-2006-C to get the larger bottles that you want.
I also have the Speedstir. It makes testing much easier.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

Reactions: 24round
Welcome to TFP. :wave:

First thing I'd suggest is to grab a sample of your well water and run it to a local pool store and have them test it for metals. If you have metals in your well water I'd suggest paying for the second truck of water as you'll eat up that $250 savings in sequestrant over time.

I see that Marty beat me, but the only kit I'd recommend is from your neighbor, the TF-100. His suggestion of the Speedstir is a good one too.

Welcome to the forum!
If you can, get your well water tested now. Especially for iron.....
Thanks! I was just about to ask where to get the iron test done, and @Bama Rambler answered...
......grab a sample of your well water and run it to a local pool store and have them test it for metals...
I'll do this before going full-hose.

.... your neighbor......
I just Googled... only about 45 miles from me. It paid off to enter my signature and location info!

You guys DID mention the Speedstir. :unsure:

My dad had a big version in his darkroom when I was a kid. I loved playing with it.

PlushShortGordonsetter-size_restricted.gif

Reactions: Casey

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
On my last pool, I never turned the pump off (no timer). We did have a timer on a separate pump that went to a solar heater (on the roof of the house).

Aside from the electricity use, is there any benefit to turning off the pump? My previous pump was on for 10+ years and still running when we moved away.

About the only chemicals I ever used were 3" pucks, always in the basket and the rare addition of baking soda or borax.
I had neighbors on both sides of me who battled their pools almost every year. My plan was simple... always have pucks in there, never turn off pump.

Reading the advice here on TFP, it looks like I won't even need (or want) pucks (although I already ordered 100 lbs with the pool :( )

A lot of people run their pump just long enough to circulate the water, and that's fine. Since we have a 2-speed pump and the low speed is only ¼hp, AND our power is pretty cheap, I run the pump 24 hours a day on low. In fact I can vacuum the pool on low speed. The injection pump is the only one that gets ran in intervals, even though I have the main pump on the HA system as well. It's more so I can see if it's running than to turn it on and off.

You are correct about not using the tablets. In fact you should see if you can return them and get a refund for them. If you can't get a refund, maybe you could get store credit and use that for toys and other things.

An update. No questions, just logging the info here.

I bought a test kit, and compared its results to the test strips I have.

Taylor:
FC = 3
TC = 3
PH = less than 6.8 (it's lowest reading)
CH = 30
TA = 20
CYA = didn't cloud the test at all

Aqua Check 7 strips
FC = 3
TC = 3
PH = 6.2
TH = Very Low
TA = 40
CYA = strip matches none of the colors.

This is after
  • Filling pool 50/50 with trucked and well water
  • Adding 1 lb of trichlor "shock' that came with the pool
  • Three trichlor pucks in the skimmer basket (about 1/2 dissolved)
  • Two days of circulation. Water temp is 80*
My plan, continue to use up trichlor pucks until CYA comes up.
I'll probably add baking soda and borax to deal with the PH and TA.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.