New (+1st timer) Pool Build - North DFW

Met with new builder to pick out selections. New plaster and tile (everything else same).

Wet Edge Grigio Treasure
1x2” blue tile

Going to call city permit office tomorrow and beg them to hurry our permit through so we can dig in a week! 😬(live in a small town and our building permit/inspector is a one man show)

Attachments

• 0E43FA08-FB24-4494-ABE2-4AF46A997491.jpeg
    0E43FA08-FB24-4494-ABE2-4AF46A997491.jpeg
    535.6 KB · Views: 53
After another month delay we're looking to dig finally on Wednesday. Forecast is looking good to dig on Wednesday.

We got pushed once with the new builder due to my city permitting office being slow, then twice due to weather. Digging in march/April in Texas is no fun! That's why we started this in October so we wouldn't be here! Argh! ah well.

Will be posting pictures/timelapse of dig day.

OH. Only other change. we switched from the Grigio Treasure Wet Edge to Sky Blue Treasure. The Grigio looked really dark when I saw better pictures of it wet.

Here is Sky Blue, Grigio, and Azure side by side. Dry, Wet, and under an inch of water. Photos like this aren't great for much since it doesn't tell you water color, but you can order plaster samples direct from WetEdge on their site. (I dropped the Grigio sample and it broke)

There's some decent build photos on this forum if you look. As best I can tell, Tahoe is similar in base color as Grigio so looking at some of those photos might give you somewhat of an idea too.

This build photos basically sealed the deal with us going back to Sky Blue Treasure New Build Prosper, TX (Updated 6/7/20)

Attachments

• IMG_5922.jpg
    IMG_5922.jpg
    701.1 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_5923.jpg
    IMG_5923.jpg
    753.6 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_5924.jpg
    IMG_5924.jpg
    668.4 KB · Views: 46
Reactions: texasmax
Build is underway! Hit Rock at about the 4ft mark or so but they're almost done now. Will share more photos later!

Question for anyone out there - I've heard/read enough horror stories on this forum and elsewhere about measurements/dimensions being off post dig and not finding out about it until too late. How can I double check measurements once the dig is done? I had the builder walk through dimensions and stuff as they marked it off, and everything was good then, but post dig - what should I be looking at? About 12" greater than water depth / pool width height all the way around?

Attachments

• IMG_5930.jpg
    IMG_5930.jpg
    528.6 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_5931.jpg
    IMG_5931.jpg
    823.9 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_5934.jpg
    IMG_5934.jpg
    704.6 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_5935.jpg
    IMG_5935.jpg
    514.5 KB · Views: 62
Some more photos and timelapse video.

It appears all dimensions are about 1 foot bigger then water/pool size. For example, the depths from bottom to the top of the form boards are 5 and 6 feet where the water depth is expected to be 4 and 5 feet. Except for the tanning ledge, which I'm measuring about 19" where we expect the depth to be 9". The dimensions of the pool are roughly 1 foot greater - where we expect to finished pool to be 18 feet in width, the hole in the ground is 20 feet wide. Sound about right?

Attachments

• IMG_5940.jpg
    IMG_5940.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 59
  • IMG_5939.jpg
    IMG_5939.jpg
    922.5 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_5938.jpg
    IMG_5938.jpg
    995.1 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_5937.jpg
    IMG_5937.jpg
    961.5 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_5936.jpg
    IMG_5936.jpg
    918.3 KB · Views: 60
@Dallaspoolneed last I checked (It's been a few weeks) they weren't expecting issues. They're a large Hayward shop and Hayward seems to be the least popular among the big 3. Spent some time browsing online pool equipment stores today and noticed a lot more of the Hayward equipment were in stock compared to other brands. But we shall see....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Had some (maybe minor?) cave-ins / soil movement around the pool today after a pretty heavy thunderstorm. How does this look?

Attachments

• IMG_5946.jpg
    IMG_5946.jpg
    953.9 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_5947.jpg
    IMG_5947.jpg
    960.7 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_5950.jpg
    IMG_5950.jpg
    784.6 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_5951.jpg
    IMG_5951.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 50
Well after a month of nearly constant rain, multiple cleanouts, rebar crew showing up several times hoping to steel and not being able to (due to more caveins since the last cleanout)… the excavation crew had to come back out, dig out the hole, put up peg board (Yesterday), and today rebar crew back out. Photos attached.

a few questions / concerns:

1. There are a couple of uneven spots - the sun ledge slopes about 3” uphill, and there’s a high spot on the 4ft side of the pool. I ran some string lines across the pool and measured distance from rebar to the line. Photos and notes below.

2. It’s still very muddy and lots of mud on the rebar…how much of a problem if any is this?

Our contract doesn’t specify depth of gunite (I remember asking but can’t remember). The dimensions of the depth, width and length of the hole compared to the final dimensions would indicate the walls are 12” thick, and the floor about 9“ thick.

Our tanning ledge water depth is 9”. The top of the rebar to the string line (set at the top of the form boards) varies from 17” to 14” (wall to water edge). Assuming 3" below form board for waterline, the 14” distance for rebar is seems too small or else we will get rust spots or the depth will be less then 9”. Agreed, or are we okay?

The other area with a noticeable depth variance is intended to have a 4’ water depth and the rebar depth to form board varies from 56“ to 59”. 48” water depth plus 3” to top of form board, would seem to say we still have plenty of room for gunite above rebar.

also, and this is more funny then anything….I’ve left a submergible pump in the pool running all through the rain, and the crew left it there today, and I’m not sure I’ll be able to fit it through the rebar 🤦🏻‍♂️IMG_6162.jpgIMG_6185.JPGIMG_6180.jpgIMG_6173.jpgIMG_6165.jpgIMG_6172.jpgIMG_6168.jpg

I agree, your sunshelf is going to be less than 9 inches. You will also lose about 1/2 inch due to the plaster. The gunite company should even out the other areas...they will just need to put extra gunite in some spots.

Lots of updates. Was hoping that we'd be gunited this week and could post everything at once, but cleanup crews are backed up so we're still waiting on that. Since my last post we have plumbed, fixed the sun ledge, and ran electrical. We are clear for inspection. We also got another bout of heavy rain a few times and after we rebared I actually covered the sides of the pool in tarp (photos below). It worked surprisingly well, and our construction manager was actually surprised how much it limited damage. Granted, after one of the trades were here (who had to move the tarps to work) I didn't realize it was going to rain (didn't replace the tarps fully) and we have some cave-ins from that one rain that we are waiting on cleanup crew for 😡 but getting there! Hopefully Gunite next week.

Also, one of the crews got the pump out. They were able to bend the rebar enough to get it out and it went back to shape after.

We also:
  • Changed our waterline tile to Aquabella London Victoria 1x2 Glass Tile. The original tile we picked was out of stock due to Covid/Texas Winter/everything, and so we upgraded to something we liked better LS-1277 - VICTORIA 1X2

• Added a AquaCal HeatWave SuperQuiet® SQ120R, which is a heat pump and chiller. It was expensive, but given that our pool is only 15k gallons, in direct sun, and no deep end, we wanted something that would both extend swimming season in the winter and help with extreme summer temps. I originally planned on getting both a gas heater and a glacier chiller down the road, but the heat pump seems like a good solution since we don't have a spa (and cheaper to install since our gas run would be EXTREMELY long), and worse case if I don't like the cooling on the Heatpump I can always add a glacier too and still come out ahead. Our builder has one on his pool and loves it.
Photos and videos! Still not exciting, but we're inching closer and closer! It's been like....8+ weeks post dig now. Can't complain too much because of all the rain we've had. Been a crazy year for weather in Texas.

Rebar:

Plumbing:

Electrical (just grounding wire and light rough-in):

IMG_6196 (1).jpegIMG_6257 (1).jpegIMG_6283 (1).jpegIMG_6284 (1).jpegIMG_6285 (1).jpegIMG_6289 (1).jpegIMG_6336 (1).jpegIMG_6337 (1).jpegIMG_6338 (1).jpeg

Nice visuals :) Just out of curiosity, what ratio are you using on your time lapse? I would like to get a similar capture when my builder can finally start my pool, so any insight would be helpful.

Thanks!

Dale

4000% speed in iMovie. I’m also downloading the full length videos and archiving. Just so that I have them if there’s any questions in the future.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.