Bwdonohues58

Gold Supporter
In The Industry
Apr 22, 2019
Homer, AK
Pool Size
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I’m having an APT (aquatic physical therapy) pool built this Summer. Hopefully will open in the Fall. Indoor pool, 12,500 gallons. UV blocking windows. I want to use Clear Comfort (AOP) with liquid chlorine (variable Stenner Pump). The pool surface will be ceramic tiles with epoxy grout. PT pools are warmer than those used for swimming laps. Around 90-95 degrees. The pH of the water here in Homer, AK is 7.2 right out of the tap. Initially, I’m looking for advice on what the startup chemicals should be. TA of tap water here is 20 ppm. Right now, I’m thinking about using baking soda to raise up the TA, then adjust the pH, and finally add enough chlorine to get me to 1 ppm FC. Not sure about CH or what to do. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks, Bill.

For reference - the Under Construction thread for this is Never owned a pool before.

Use baking soda to raise your TA to 70 or so. That may raise your pH a touch but not much. So no adjustment should be necessary to start.

I assume you are not using any CYA, which we do not agree with, but maybe your municipality will not allow it.

CH needs to be at least 250 ppm to protect your cementatious components.

Are you going to be draining this often?

No, they allow CYA, I just don’t see why I need it. I thought that CYA was needed to stabilize the Chlorine in direct sun exposure. Not so? I hope I am not draining often because water here is expensive. What’s the best way to get the CH to 250?

CYA also takes the harshness of chlorine away. A pool with 30 ppm of CYA and 3 ppm of FC has far less active chlorine than a pool with 0 CYA and 1 ppm FC. That is why most of us here will not go near public pools.

You should try 20 ppm CYA. The water will be far more pleasant.

For CH you add calcium chloride. I suspect you all use de-icer pellets some. Get the ones that are near 100% calcium chloride.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.