Never needs Acid

Aug 1, 2010
Poway, CA
Hi there,

My pool is roughly 28,000 gallons and it NEVER needs acid. This seems odd to me. My last pool was around the same size and I'd have to adjust the PH weekly. I test my chemicals every week and the only thing I add is liquid chlorine. I have an automatic chlorine feeder which takes tabs as well.

When we first moved in my CYA was at zero and I'd burn through liquid chlorine daily. Adjusted that and now it sits pretty happy. I don't have too many issues with Algae.. when pool gets about 85 degree's and up if I dont keep up with the chlorine it will start to grow a touch in corners.

My pool is clean, clear and looks great. Issue i have I guess is in the past year have not added a drop of Acid and the PH stays perfect... this seem normal?

Thanks, Jeremy

First thing I'd recommend is updating your signature to include info on your pool (see my signature below for an example). This will help everyone answer you questions.

How are you measuring pH, are you also measuring TA? If you are measuring TA, what is it at now?

I have read some people on the forum have a similar "issue" where their pH is fairly stable, so it's not unheard of. I wish my pool was this way, I add MA about twice a week to keep the pH down. Some of it will depend on your fill water, if it's acidic it will lower your pH/TA, if it's basic it'll increase the pH/TA

As @Texas Splash said, If you use the trichlor tabs in your feeder that will decrease pH level, so perhaps those tabs are keeping the pH level?

The key has got to be the fill water. Both the pH and the TA will make the pool's pH rise if they are high out of the tap. My fill water pH is fine at 7.6, but the TA is 330ppm :mad: so every time I top the pool up, the TA climbs some. As it climbs it tends to push the pH up eventually, so I usually have to drop my TA with acid and aeration a couple of times a season to keep the TA where I want it (70-80ppm). Adding borates 2 months ago has seemed to help stabilize the pH climb a little, but we'll see how long that lasts.

I haven’t had to add acid since I opened. Actually not even then so some point last year. My pool has found its equilibrium. :)

I filled my pool last October and added baking soda and acid to get the TA and PH within range and I have only had to add baking soda once since then and no more acid. My PH is always, "knocks on wood", 7.6. I had a lot of swimmers on Saturday and expected with all the jumping and splashing that my PH would shift a little and it was still 7.6. I wish my hot tub was this way...I can't keep it below 8.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.