NEVER EVER use Phosphate Remover in your pool!

bluegirl2

Silver Supporter
Jun 8, 2014
Southern WI
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I've been here on TFP for many years now and should know better. I did something very stupid because I had a ton of mustard algae in my pool and wanted to get it open quickly since we are going to have some hot weather coming. Also, I wanted to get my solar blanket on it to start warming it. Due to my haste, I looked elsewhere on how to get rid of mustard algae in a hurry. What a screw up! I added some phosphate remover and now I have a cloudy pool and I'm still in the process of my SLAM and running my pump 24/7. I've been vacuuming and brushing the sides. It wasn't cloudy before I added the phosphate remover. Now I'm afraid it will never clear up. I put a new cartridge in the filter after most of the algae was out and after a few days have taken it out already to clean it to try and get that phosphate remover out. I don't know what to do now. I DO know I will NEVER do that again. Any advice would be appreciated. :sick::mad:

You will most likely need some new cartridges for your filter. Hopefully you can get what is in the pool out first but be ware if the filter pressure rises quickly it is time for new cartridges.

To get rid of it quickly, do a full pool water exchange. Not sure if that is possible (well water, water restrictions, etc) but it will clear up quicker with a lot of fresh water.

Otherwise, stay at SLAM level FC and keep filtering/cleaning.

When I popped a DE filter grid a couple years ago (and was out of town so didn't catch it :( ), I ended up with tons of DE clouding up the water when it was circulating. I shut everything off and let it settle to the bottom and then vacuumed it all to waste before installing the new grids. I'd imagine that the phosphate solids could be treated in the same way? I remember when I treated my pool for phosphates, the solids evolved settled to the bottom rather quickly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.