Neighbor's pool heater is loud and rumbling (but mine is almost silent?)

jmk396

Apr 26, 2018
PA
I live really close to one of my neighbors and his pool heater is on the side near our house.

He has an above-ground 24' pool and replaced a broken Hayward H100ID heater with what appears to be a Hayward Universal H-series.

However, it's makes an noisy rumbling sound. The decibel level isn't high (~50dB) but the low-frequency rumbling is extremely noticeable and heard inside our house making it difficult to sleep without sound machines, etc.

I have a Hayward H100ID heater with my 21' above-ground pool and it's much closer to my house than his but it's almost silent.

Could there be something wrong with his? He appeared to have a lot of problems installing it and I don't think it was done professionally. (ie. he had a friend help him which took several days)

Is it possible the heater is too large for his above-ground pool?

I'm planning to speak to him about it, but we aren't on the best terms and I'm almost positive he's going to tell me he can't do anything about it. I also don't want to call the police and regardless it's not the decibel-level that is too loud but the rumbling noise.

Rumbling noises often come from inadequate gas flow. Could be meter too small, or gas line too small, or not enough gas pressure.

He should have the gas pressure checked with a manometer and see it is within the specs in the manual.

Rumbling noises often come from inadequate gas flow. Could be meter too small, or gas line too small, or not enough gas pressure.

He should have the gas pressure checked with a manometer and see it is within the specs in the manual.
Would the larger (?) heater require a larger gas line? Is it adjustable on the unit?

Could be water flashing to steam from low water flow.
Thanks... I haven't seen him backwash the pool in several weeks (or all summer?) but I might not have seen it of course.

Thanks again for the information.

It's running again and it sounds like a old hotel boiler room or something. It just sounds like a very very loud (rumbling) furnace. It's the same kind of sound my quiet heater makes but just cranked 20x louder.

Have you mentioned the noise to him?

Having the gas company out to check the size of the gas line to the heater, checking the gas meter (may need to upsize) and possibly putting rubber isolation pads under the heater will help resolve the issue.

In my experience, rumbling and gas-fired devices is a bad combination. He definitely needs to have it examined.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.