Jan 21, 2021
Sugar Land, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi all,

We're building a pool and spa. For the spa, we will have a glass tiled negative edge spillway. We really like the spa spillway below, but cannot determine what angle the spillway is in the spa (spa located in the back). Can someone help to determine if that is a 45 or 60 degree angle? Would you pick one over the other? Any other thoughts about not doing such a steep angle? PB recommended 30 degrees but we want something more dramatic, since the spa will be seen inside our home from our breakfast nook windows (spa will be viewed similar to the viewpoint below, just closer).

1612369855703.png

Here is an image of the various angles, but I think we want to do 45 or 60.

1612370206642.png

Thanks for all your help!

Hmm interesting, tough to really decide, but I will take a stab at it. Looking at the left hand side where the negative edge ends, it is flush with the face of the stone face, however when you look at the right hand side where it ends, it appears as though the negative edge extends past the face of the stone. I have a feeling this is not true and just looks that way because I doubt you would want it sticking out past the rock face, also I think the negative edge continues past the angle you can see so it turns back in and terminates at the rock face just like the left side.

So, with that out of the way, if the negative edge was a 45 degree angle then it would have equal fall and run. Looking at the side profile thickness of the spa wall and comparing it to the vertical drop of the negative edge, the negative edge clearly has more fall than it does run and if we are sticking to common divisions of angles - 30/45/60/75 I would guess that it is a 60 degree slope.

Just my thoughts and opinion, worth what you paid for it! :cool:

Reactions: travelfeedsthesoul
Hmm interesting, tough to really decide, but I will take a stab at it. Looking at the left hand side where the negative edge ends, it is flush with the face of the stone face, however when you look at the right hand side where it ends, it appears as though the negative edge extends past the face of the stone. I have a feeling this is not true and just looks that way because I doubt you would want it sticking out past the rock face, also I think the negative edge continues past the angle you can see so it turns back in and terminates at the rock face just like the left side.

So, with that out of the way, if the negative edge was a 45 degree angle then it would have equal fall and run. Looking at the side profile thickness of the spa wall and comparing it to the vertical drop of the negative edge, the negative edge clearly has more fall than it does run and if we are sticking to common divisions of angles - 30/45/60/75 I would guess that it is a 60 degree slope.

Just my thoughts and opinion, worth what you paid for it! :cool:

I didn't even notice that one side appears to protrude the face of the stone, however I agree with you that it just looks that way due to the curve, but it really terminates at the rock face.

I also think it is closer to a 60 degree angle, although it could be slightly less.

Thanks!!!

Here is a down and dirty angle from your pictures, of course this is not exact because of many factors but it is close.. I would say both are really close to a 45 degree angle... :)

Slide1.JPG
Slide2.JPG

Reactions: travelfeedsthesoul
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.