Needed: HW circulator with RS-485/ Backwash Valves Replacement

You are way past the scope of this pool forum.

But we like hearing about these projects so if you figure stuff out please share.

Here's an update to our saga.

I chose the Grundfos Magna 3 circulator for the project. It feeds the Bowman heat exchanger from the geosource heat pump tank. A Pentair i2 then circulates spa [an Endless Pool E7000, 2000 gal.] water through the Bowman EC160 and back to the spa. Both pumps are on the RS-485 loop that is run by the NXP microcontroller.

Here are the pumps. The Grundfus is fed from the left, around the back, goes through the heat exchanger [center, with the red label] and back through the sight glass. There are two temperature probes, one before and one after the HX.

On the rear of the sled is the Pentair, fed from the spa into the right side. It loops up and around to feed the HX. The HX out does a loop-de-loop and goes back to the spa.The reason for the loops is to unload any tension on the HX piping as we had broken a union earlier from thermal expansion/contraction issues. The output side has 2 more thermal probes.

We disconnected the spa's existing 4KW resistive heater, but sense when it got the call for heat; that tells the NXP-based controller to initiate heating. [The temperatures shown are in centi-Kelvins; 29946 = 299.46K = 29.31C] With the Bowman HX, we were hoping to get 20KW of heat transfer with 8 gpm through the Magna3 and 52 gpm on the i2; we were pleased to see we got up to 24KW.

Getting the spa into place was another adventure: 60 ton crane. 120 ft boom. Lift it through trees, over the fishpond and house; and carefully slide it into place, with space to spare. We lowered it onto 1 ft^3 blocks of ice. That let us retrieve the lift straps from around the spa, and s..l..o..w..l..y let it seat itself into place.

Thus far, the only issues have been multiple piping leaks, and when they were fixed, failure to reseat the probes into the wells.

Last edited:
Hello again:

I posted about the spa project several years ago. The heating aspect has been a big success. I'd hoped to get at least 15KW of heat into the spa; we actually got 24KW into the 2000 gallon spa, yippie.

But getting the solarium installed has been a major roadblock. The original custom glass supplier in the Czech Republic backed out midway. The GC found another source and it's 95% installed; one piece to go but it was too heavy for the suction cups on the crane that day.

Meanwhile, I have a new challenge. The property has a 20,000 gal koi pond with aeration, Pentair circulation pumps, filters etc. That means backflushing. The system now has manual vertical PVC valves but they are a Pain In The *. They require significant force to move and must be held in the upper position during the flush. They also break.

We'd like to automate the backflow process but the roadblock has been finding power-operated valves. With powered valves, we can automate the process, and please my client's SWMBO, who now does the flushing. That will please him.

The client has found Besgo Auto Backwash valves - Brookforge pool auto backwash systems but we'd have to get them from Switzerland or the UK. And they ain't cheap.

My question is: Does anyone here have experience with powered backflush valves such as these? Brands/sources?

Show us pics of the Koi Pond equipment and the manual vertical PVC valves you want to automate.