Gold Supporter
Jul 25, 2022
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello! Seeking the advice once again from the experts on this site!

I live in Michigan. We have a 24' ABG vinyl-liner pool. To make a long story short, the pool has been completely uncovered since the 2nd week of January!

Water temp is 48 degrees. Today is the first time I've ran all my tests. My current readings are listed below (I do my own testing w/ a Taylor K2006 kit):

FC = 0
TA = 225
pH = 8.0
CH = 225
CYA = 0

(remember, this is Michigan, winters are brutal and the pool has been uncovered since January!)

I can see down to the bottom of the pool from anywhere I stand. However, the bottom is fully covered w/ algae. I thought I read somewhere on this site that algae wouldn't grow in water below 60 degrees? The pool was crystal clear when I closed it in November, but now the entire bottom of the pool is covered w/ algae. When I run my skimmer pole along the bottom everything POOFS up and then disintegrates into the water so I know it's algae!

Normally, in this situation I would SLAM the pool as I've done in the past, but I've never had a CYA level of 0. I'm guessing SLAM'ing at CYA of 0 is a no-no?

Where do I start?

Thanks!
Todd

Follow the SLAM Process. It states right in it to have a CYA of 30 at the minimum.

Be sure you let the pool water sample reach normal room temperature before doing the CYA test.

Reactions: proavia
Follow the SLAM Process. It states right in it to have a CYA of 30 at the minimum.

Be sure you let the pool water sample reach normal room temperature before doing the CYA test.
If after doing what you said and re-testing my CYA w/ a water sample that reached normal room temp what do I do if my CYA level is still way below 30? What is the best process for raising CYA to the minimum level of 30?

If after doing what you said and re-testing my CYA w/ a water sample that reached normal room temp what do I do if my CYA level is still way below 30? What is the best process for raising CYA to the minimum level of 30?
Solid granular stabilizer is best added by placing it in a sock or nylon and hanging that sock in front of fast moving return(s). Shaking and squeezing the sock while in the pool water will help the stabilizer dissolve faster.

Alternatively, the sock can be placed into the skimmer basket BUT it should only be left in there if the pump is continuously running and not turned on and off by a timer. CYA is acidic when it dissolves into water and so it is not a good idea to leave the sock in the skimmer without the pump running.

Pouring granular CYA into the pool directly, or into the skimmer as recommended on stabilizer bottles, is not recommended as it takes a long time to dissolve and the granules can sit against the pool surface creating locally low pH levels.

The pump should be run for 24 hours after adding solid stabilizer and you should avoid backwashing/cleaning the filter for a few days if stabilizer was added to the skimmer.

Reactions: tseger31
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.