Need to shock with fiberglass pool and orp controller?

jackcmorgan

May 30, 2023
ontario
Had a new fiberglass pool installed last year. I have the hayward sense and dispense system. Pool doesn't get used alot, but I've been running now since April and don't have any / very little combined chlorine. I haven't shocked all year - do I need to? no chloramine smells either.

Jack if you're not testing with either Taylor K-2006 or TF100 you will not get advise from here. Not because we are pushing these test kits but because we don't want to offer advice on inaccurate test results that could make things worse. The 1st step to knowing how to care for your pool is getting accurate and reliable test results. Unfortunately as things stand these are the only 2 trusted test kits.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Jack if you're not testing with either Taylor K-2006 or TF100 you will not get advise from here. Not because we are pushing these test kits but because we don't want to offer advice on inaccurate test results that could make things worse. The 1st step to knowing how to care for your pool is getting accurate and reliable test results. Unfortunately as things stand these are the only 2 trusted test kits.
would a taylor K-1004 kit suffice? I don't want to drop $210 cdn plus shipping for a test kit. I can get the K-1004 for $50 plus s&h.

would a taylor K-1004 kit suffice? I don't want to drop $210 cdn plus shipping for a test kit. I can get the K-1004 for $50 plus s&h.
No, it’s missing the FAS-DPD portion for chlorine and a CYA test. You could add a Taylor K1515 to it as get FAS-DPD.

Reactions: jackcmorgan
Does ORP consider free/ combined chlorine? From what i've read, ORP is a better measure of sanitizer efficacy than free chlorine. My ORP is always above 650 so do I even need to be concerned about combined chlorine? Perhaps only when ORP cannot get above 650?

Does ORP consider free/ combined chlorine? From what i've read, ORP is a better measure of sanitizer efficacy than free chlorine. My ORP is always above 650 so do I even need to be concerned about combined chlorine? Perhaps only when ORP cannot get above 650?
ORP isn’t very reliable especially when CYA above 30ppm is in the water. TFP doesn’t endorse its use.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.