Need to shock and change filter. Which order?

n8huntsman

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
I bought a new filter to replace my 13 year old cartridge. I’d say I got my moneys worth out of it but it’s time. My water is clear but I’m getting dark green spots on the plaster so I think I need to shock the pool. Should I shock first let it clear up and then put the new filter in? Or should I do it the other way around? Thanks.

Do you follow the TFP regime already? I see you signed up 10 years ago and have a couple hundred posts already - not sure if you have a good test kit, but you're talking about shocking the pool which makes me confused. :)

Yes I have the TF-100 test kit. I know about SLAM and intend to follow it. Just curious if you would install the new cartridge before or after SLAM.. I assume by the replies that it won’t really matter one way or the other.
Thanks

Reactions: gonfishin
As to why I’m shocking the pool, my water is crystal clear but I’ve developed little black or very dark green spots on the plaster. They are not brushing away all that easy. We’ve been going to the river a lot and bringing toys and bathing suits back and forth. Not sure if something got transferred or what. Plus the reduced efficacy of my old filter... who knows.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.