Need to replace doughboy sand filter

dak5605

May 22, 2021
Michigan
Hello all! I have had a doughboy pump and filter for the past two seasons. Last season I started to notice sand coming out of the return and now in this third season, the problem is just too much to ignore. I want to replace the filter but would like to ditch sand filters because all that I am going through is just very stressful and I don't want to ever deal with this again. I wanted to know what cartridge filters you would recommend for my above-ground pool, I believe my pool is 24x16 and has about 10,000 gallons. I have the doughboy pool pump, 1 Hp. What do you all recommend I should replace with, what have any of you tried and really found successful? Thanks!

I had a similar problem with sand spewing out the return jet. I wasted my money buying a new internal part – there are plastic laterals in there. When I took the old one out it looked 100% intact like it was new so I put it back. But it turns out there was an internal plastic basket that got dislodged. I put that back in place. I might have glued it back on so it wouldn't become dislodged again. Boom! Problem solved. No more spewing out sand.

Before you go through the bother of replacing your sand filter, remove the top cover and look inside and see if anything is out of placeb or looks broken. If the laterals or any other internal plastic parts are out of place then you can replace those. Many of us pool folks are perfectly happy with sand filters. They are uncomplicated.

Hi, welcome to TFP! Hayward, Pentair, Jandy, and Waterway all make good filters. You would want to choose something oversized if it fits your budget so you clean it less often. The smallest you could go is 100 Sq ft cartridge filter.

Reactions: dak5605
Hi, welcome to TFP! Hayward, Pentair, Jandy, and Waterway all make good filters. You would want to choose something oversized if it fits your budget so you clean it less often. The smallest you could go is 100 Sq ft cartridge filter.
I thought I would reply instead of posting so that you can see it. I had a couple of questions.

1) Can I connect this filter using hoses, do I need to buy an adapter?
2) My current pump is 1 hp with the sand filter, will this work for the cartridge filter or do I need to upgrade to 1.5 hp?

I thought I would reply instead of posting so that you can see it. I had a couple of questions.

1) Can I connect this filter using hoses, do I need to buy an adapter?
2) My current pump is 1 hp with the sand filter, will this work for the cartridge filter or do I need to upgrade to 1.5 hp?
You should be able to connect with hoses. I'm not sure if the filter comes with a hose barb fitting, but they are not difficult to find. You would need a 1.5" male threaded end with a 1.5" hose barb. For question 2, a 1hp pump is just fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.