Need to replace a Raypak 055B natural gas hot tub heater

Jun 11, 2018
SEATTLE
I have a 350 gallon hot tub. My 20-year old natural gas Raypak 055B won't light. The generator was only putting out about 230 mv, so I replaced it. The new one is putting out about the same, so the pilot light flame must be the issue. Not certain what the pilot light size should be, but there is a small arc away from the generator where there is no flame coming out.

The company that previously worked on my hot tub about 10 years ago will not do a repair on this old of a heater. Evidently my heater was discontinued about 5 years ago, so I can't replace it. They did explain Raypak makes a 105K BTU unit. However, I currently have a flexible pipe going from the furnace to the Raypak heater that has an outside diameter just short of one inch. It also runs about 60 feet from the furnace, which is about 25 feet from the meter, if not more. I was told this likely won't provide the necessary flow rate for a new 105K unit.

There is also an option of changing to an electric heater. I have power controlled by a 50 amp breaker that runs to a load panel in the vacinity of the hot tub. Currently, there is a 20 amp breaker protecting the wires that run through conduit to the pump. I will need to check the codes and talk with an electrician, but I believe there is sufficient power available for a RayPak 5.5 Kw unit, but will require another breaker and additional wires.

I can't be the only one in this predicament. Does anyone have knowledge of a natural gas heater manufactured by another company that has an output close to 55K BTU? I haven't been able to find one.

I understand an electric heater will heat the tub slower at greater expense. Would a RayPak 5.5 Kw unit be sufficient for a 350 gallon tub?

There appears to be plenty of replacement parts available for the RayPak 055B, but I'm not certain if it would be reasonable for me to continue fixing it. I'm very handy, but not certain if it would be safe to do so considering its age, or a good use of my time.

Any comments would be appreciated.

RayPak 5.5kw will work, but will be slower than gas. A 5.5kw electric heater is about 19,000 btu. It would probably take about twice as long to get to temperature from cold as your old gas model. Most above ground (portable) spas have electric heaters of that rating and more or less the same amount of water you have unless it is a very large model.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.