need to do anything with the sand filter for maintainance?

Karl103

Bronze Supporter
Aug 18, 2018
Rolesville, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
Going into year 4 with my pool. Sand Filter. Living in NC I keep the pool open year round. We get lots of pine pollen in the spring but the filter seems to do fine filtering out.

Question about what maintainance , if any, is needed on the sand filter. I'm reading here on TFP that changing the sand is not necessary. That's a relief. There are some recommendations about deep cleaning but is this really necessary ? Would like to avoid tinkering with the filter if not completely necessary.

What is the consensus. Seems to be - leave the filter alone if it is working well. Is this still the recommendation ?

Seems to be - leave the filter alone if it is working well. Is this still the recommendation ?
Correct. If you find debris being returned to the pool, the sand could be channeled.

The most important thing is to keep gooey pool store potions out of the filter. Flocculants, cheap clarifier, phosphate removers, etc.

Correct. If you find debris being returned to the pool, the sand could be channeled.

The most important thing is to keep gooey pool store potions out of the filter. Flocculants, cheap clarifier, phosphate removers, etc.
Thanks Marty,

I haven't used any floccuants, clarifier, etc.

If I ever did have to deep clean due to channeling, I watched the video on the main post here about the process. I am always a bit nervous about disconnecting PVC piping if I do not have to (I cracked a PVC pipe once from over tightening and it shut me down for a week). Does the process involve just shutting off valves going to the filter without disconnecting ?

The only thing I notice is the handle assembly at the top of the filter is a bit stiff to turn (probably from dirt and pollen lodged in the handle) Any recommendations on the best way to clean this. I was thinking about removing this to clean but did not want to get into a big project.

Karl

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.