Need to decide ASAP...Changing mind from Sport to Deep end... thoughts? 18x36 Rectangle Auto Cover Indiana

I'm a fan of ladders in deep end kids use them constantly when jumping in it's the quickest way out to jump back or down slide etc.
I just looked at your drawing I didnt see you had corner stairs. I cant see the scale but I assume the first corner panel is an 8ft and they are past that a ways so you definitely need 10ft minimum. How much room do you have around the pool area? Are you against outside stairs like either side entry or at the head of shallow end? I ask because in pool stairs take a good chunk of space up, pool feels much bigger when stairs are outside perimeter

i am doing an auto cover so can't have stairs outside of the rectangle [according to pool co]. 10 ft minimum where? i am sorry....thanks so much for your help. i am going to try to draw up what i want so they can reproduce it..i have been emailing back and forth the design since june 24 and trying to call and talk but just get emails [in each email I state I want water depth of 3.5' is this possible...literally each email]; she finally called friday and told me that there walls are only 3'4". that would have saved a lot of time. Ugh

Hubby thinks we should just start a gradual slope as soon as they allow....to 7 feet deep [so 7.5 walls].

I know I'm late to the party on this subject.. but I had this exact conversation with my mom when she built her pool. And this is how we decided the depth. How tall is the shortest person you want to accommodate.. and what is the arm length of the tallest one. The ideal depth was between those two distances. Shallow enough for the short adults, deep enough to swim a lap and not hit your hand on the bottom. We ruled out little kids since they would likely be in a floaty of some sort.
After all of that.. it was the construction guys you had to watch out for. If the guy on the digger takes too much dirt out he may get lazy and not want to spend the time to put it back.. And the gunite guys may not want to make sure the depth is right.. so in the end my moms pool ended up too deep in the shallow end for a family of people that are all shorter that 5'5"

Reactions: tntwalter
10ft in shallow on long wall to accommodate the stairs wing. I didnt see autcover that makes stairs inside only like they say. If you want the slowest slope go to 7ft wall depth will be 6.7ish water nobody is touching. My personal pool is 6ft wall depth I'm 6.1 I can tippy toe above water. My kids do flips off the waterfall no issue. The shallower the deep end the less slope. Regardless I think it's a good layout. 10ft long in shallow end is alot your pool is wide enough to handle it the angle won't be steep at all

have final drawing. thoughts before I approve?
it's not exactly perfect but I think it's ok...goal was to have a mix of shallow and deep [but limited as only do 3'4" walls]....
deep only for floating jumping and just hanging out underwater [I like to do that]. I am 5'2" hubby 5'10". I like to swim; he will jump play bball goof off and float. adult ish kids just want a pool...[one wanted sport pool but we decided against].
------
This will be 3 feet of water for 9 feet.

Then a gradual slope to 5 feet. At the 5 foot point, the water will be 4 feet 8 inches of water (without the sharp drop off in the other drawing)

Then from 5 feet to 7' 6" with the deepest point of water being 7' 2"

----
or i could do 10 foot at shallow [3'4" walls] and then start long slow slope to 7' [6'8" per jimmy].

Appreciate all the help!

Trish

Attachments

• finalpool.JPG
    finalpool.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
It's good if you like it. I'm not a fan of double slopes. Reason being is people that visit get thrown off by feeling the edge as it gets deeper and if playing sports it's kinda wierd on the feet at that break line. Out of curiosity why the 7.6 deep end? Honestly theres no reason for it from my perspective. Diving you need 8.5 and jumping 5.5 water is good 6 is great. Thay extra deepness just makes the slope goofy. For perspective a handicap ramp is 1" rise for every foot. If you did 9ft shallow amd 10ft deep you have 17 ft of slope for 40" wall to 78" wall at 6.5 deep end. I would even change hopper to 4ft amd make deep 8ft total before I did the double slope. My personal pool is 7ft total, 3ft wall angles and 4ft hopper the long way. Not trying to confuse you its just very rare to double slope and I see lots of pools. Theres no wrong pool depth just having a pool is great no matter depth. If ur on deck waiting, just pull the trigger and get them digging asap!

i was thinking of changing deep end to 7 [which would be just over 6.5 water]. I really wanted a shallow end but the 3'4" [36" water] seems to shallow to really have a lot of ...but I'm trying to get to still have places for folks to be able to stand walk based on height [I'm 5'2" hubby 5'11" for example]... would you just do a straight slope from 3'4" to 7'? ...would you be able to walk or stand comfortably?
if someone jumped in would they risk hitting the slope ? should I just have a shallow end and a deep end and don't worry about it already...I'm driving myself crazy cant imagine how you all feel. so sorry.

It's good if you like it. I'm not a fan of double slopes. Reason being is people that visit get thrown off by feeling the edge as it gets deeper and if playing sports it's kinda wierd on the feet at that break line. Out of curiosity why the 7.6 deep end? Honestly theres no reason for it from my perspective. Diving you need 8.5 and jumping 5.5 water is good 6 is great. Thay extra deepness just makes the slope goofy. For perspective a handicap ramp is 1" rise for every foot. If you did 9ft shallow amd 10ft deep you have 17 ft of slope for 40" wall to 78" wall at 6.5 deep end. I would even change hopper to 4ft amd make deep 8ft total before I did the double slope. My personal pool is 7ft total, 3ft wall angles and 4ft hopper the long way. Not trying to confuse you its just very rare to double slope and I see lots of pools. Theres no wrong pool depth just having a pool is great no matter depth. If ur on deck waiting, just pull the trigger and get them digging asap!

i know there's no wrong depth but it's $55k so I kind of want to like it. lol

• Haha
Reactions: Newdude
Not to ask a dumb question, but can you make the pool 40' long versus 36'. That is one extra panel on each side, and a slight bit more concrete, so not much extra cost, but perhaps there is not space, or you are already on top of budget, or you dont have time.

My pool is single slope from 8 foot deep end to 3 foot shallow like yours. People regularly stand on the ramp without any troubles. Occassionally you slip if you dont pay attention and try to walk quickly, but it doesnt hurt, is sort of funny, and you are in water so you dont really fall down.

Not to ask a dumb question, but can you make the pool 40' long versus 36'. That is one extra panel on each side, and a slight bit more concrete, so not much extra cost, but perhaps there is not space, or you are already on top of budget, or you dont have time.

My pool is single slope from 8 foot deep end to 3 foot shallow like yours. People regularly stand on the ramp without any troubles. Occassionally you slip if you dont pay attention and try to walk quickly, but it doesnt hurt, is sort of funny, and you are in water so you dont really fall down.
we are already at our high end. and i don't think i gain enough to make it worth it [it's about another $5k for all changes to make work].

is there a reason to change my deep end returns from 4 to 3. i just noticed he changed the end one but not the sides...
is it because of the benches? should i nit pick and ask for that ? or ?

I think I'm going to get rid of the double slope ...make the shallow 10 feet and then start slope and only go to 7 feet not 7.5 [water <7 feet]... i am sick of it and want to get it done. thanks for all the help..you know now i'm rethinking sport pool so i need to step away!

really thanks again!

Attachments

• pool-final2.JPG
    pool-final2.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 19

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
One thing to not forget about the style you have. Along the deep end, the side wallsdont go straight down. There is an angled drop. This type of drop give yiou sort of a place to stand and grab one hadn on the side of the pool. So this allow you to sort of rest if you want.

I cant tell where returns are on your drawing. How are they labelled? Probably right in front of my eyes.

My pool is 30ft long. I have 11ft of shallow and 7ft of deep angle amd deep hopper. My angle is 12ft of slope from 3.5ft wall to 6ft wall. Can stand easily and most adults hang kind of in the middle. You would have less slope. Smaller kids can jump into 4ft of water older kids 5ft is safe all from deck level. I have a 2.5ft high waterfall my 9yo does flips off it and my 4yo jumps into shallow side from it. You have the room to play volleyball and Bball too with continuous slope. Go with your plan of 7 to 3.5 straight I think it's solid choice. You can do and should do a jumping rock on the deep end. I usually find at least one good one in every dig

My pool is 30ft long. I have 11ft of shallow and 7ft of deep angle amd deep hopper. My angle is 12ft of slope from 3.5ft wall to 6ft wall. Can stand easily and most adults hang kind of in the middle. You would have less slope. Smaller kids can jump into 4ft of water older kids 5ft is safe all from deck level. I have a 2.5ft high waterfall my 9yo does flips off it and my 4yo jumps into shallow side from it. You have the room to play volleyball and Bball too with continuous slope. Go with your plan of 7 to 3.5 straight I think it's solid choice. You can do and should do a jumping rock on the deep end. I usually find at least one good one in every dig

thanks so much! truly appreciate the help. I will look for a rock.

Ours is 16x36 with 3.5-6.5 in deep end with slide. We have 4 kids and our oldest boy is 14yr. They are constantly on the slide in the deep end and running jumping in. I think you need at least 6.5 in the deep end for when they are teens. Good luck!

Is there any update on this? We are finalizing our plans and decided on a sport pool 3.5-5.5-4 ft depth and are now second guessing if we should just do 3.5-6ft gradual slope for deep end. We also planned on volleyball net but don’t want to regret sport style if we don’t play as much vball as planned. We have 3 girls- ages 1,2, and 4. This is a big decision 😰

Is there any update on this? We are finalizing our plans and decided on a sport pool 3.5-5.5-4 ft depth and are now second guessing if we should just do 3.5-6ft gradual slope for deep end. We also planned on volleyball net but don’t want to regret sport style if we don’t play as much vball as planned. We have 3 girls- ages 1,2, and 4. This is a big decision 😰
curious, how long is your pool? We are also thinking 3.5 - 5.5 - 4 on a 27' long pool

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.