Need to Backwash Prior to Replacing DE Grids?

DanF

Silver Supporter
Mar 17, 2019
Chandler, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
Title says it all :) I purchased a new set of grids and wondering whether I need to backwash before taking out the old ones and and replacing them. I guess backwashing might make the grids a little lighter, but could I instead just hose the old grids off instead? Just looking to avoid unspooling about 60' of backwash hose.

Note: I plan to clean out my filter as part of the grid replacement.

Edited to add: If anyone knows of a good YouTube video which shows how to re-assemble the new grids onto the manifold, I would appreciate that also!

Thanks.

Last edited:
You don't have to backwash first, but all the DE and water in the filter has to go somewhere. A lot of it will stick to the grids but you will still have quite a bit in the bottom of the filter, although some of that will come out when you open the drain. Without the backwash hose all that water and DE from the filter will leave a big mess around the equipment pad. You can cart the grids somewhere else to clean them, but its going to be difficult to avoid getting DE all over the place if you don't backwash first.

Reactions: DanF and HermanTX
Thanks. Followed your advice and it made cleaning out the filter tank much easier. I assembled the new grids into the manifold and saved a few that looked good for spares just in case. Put everything back together, including a new pressure gauge from TFTestkits. All is working great now, with no water leaks around the filter.

Question: Is it normal to have a little DE come back in the pool after recharging the grids? I have seen this in the past, and someone told me it was normal. I wouldn't have noticed it except I saw while cleaning my robot.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.