Need suggestions for SWG and automation - how much should this cost?

Sep 2, 2018
Tampa/FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have a 10k gallon gunnite pool in central FL. It's screened, has a waterfall feature from an attached spa. I have a pentair pump, cartridge filter and easytouch controller and a aquacal brand heater as well. I was thinking about converting to a salt water pool, and started going down the rabbit hole as far as SWG and figured I may as well explore automation options since I hate the easytouch system/interface with the giant brick from Pentair.

As far as SWG, should I stick to Pentair? I am not stuck on any specific brand, as the pool was here when I purchased the home about 6 years ago. How much should a SWG for a 10k gal pool normally run with install + initial salt? I'm guessing that sticking with Pentair would make it easier for automation, and the automation through a phone app is a nice to have, but depending on cost, not something I'm dead set on. I'll live with the big brick if it costs too much to upgrade, so what should I expect? $200? $500? I attached some pictures to show the equipment I currently have. There are some switches that should move the valves with various settings, but I haven't been able to get them to work very well - I'm hoping automation would solve that issue too. I really want to enjoy having a pool for my kids, and not worry about storing chemicals. I just want to see the salt levels on a screen so it can tell me what to add, and occasionally push a button that heats the spa, turns on the jets, and moves the valves as needed to do that. I have never heated the pool before, but I'd sure like to have an option to do that.

IMG_20210312_153651.jpgIMG_20210312_153615.jpgIMG_20210312_153742.jpgIMG_20210312_153857.jpgIMG_20210312_153627.jpgIMG_20210312_153703.jpg7IO1pIe.jpeg

Go,

You have about 90% of what you need right now!! It appears you have a Pentair remote.. You should get ScreenLogic and you will get screens like this on your PC..

Since you have an EasyTouch it only make sense to get the IntelliChlor, most likely the IC40. You will also need an External Power Center..

See these links...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: GoGoGators
Go,

You have about 90% of what you need right now!! It appears you have a Pentair remote.. You should get ScreenLogic and you will get screens like this on your PC..

Since you have an EasyTouch it only make sense to get the IntelliChlor, most likely the IC40. You will also need an External Power Center..

See these links...

Thanks,

Jim R.
Would the IC40 be oversized? I thought it should be 2x the size of the pool. I'm guessing the ic40 is rated for 40k gallons.

The screenshot are awesome, and something i would like to have. I'm guessing it's not just for monitoring, but controls from the computer.

How much does installation cost on average? Do these units ever go on sale? I spoke to a neighbor who owns a few pool stores and he says there are rebates at certain times, but the salt systems rarely have sales.

Go,

I missed that your pool was 10K.. You also have a screen room, so you could get away with an IC20.. You can't go too big with a SWCG, so an IC40 would also work..

Marty, one of our moderators from AZ, has a 10K pool, maybe smaller and he runs an IC40.

Yes, ScreenLogic just talks to the EasyTouch and tells it what to do and reports the results back.. I mainly use my PC as it works best for me. You can also use your phone but the screens are not near as nice.. The PC works best for programming and operation, while the phone is more for operation.. You can use it to program but it is not as smooth as the PC.

Sorry, I have no idea on installation costs. I have never seen any sales and anything you buy from a pool store will have a huge mark up. Maybe you can get your pool store guy to have one of his techs install it off the clock or for a discount.. He would be the best one to know about pricing.

Installing a SWCG, external power center, and ScreenLogic is pretty simple to do.. So, it should not be too costly.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: GoGoGators
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.