Need some KISS instructions...

nanobooboo

Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jul 20, 2019
Cottageville SC
Now that I have your attention... ;) I have read dozens of posts here trying to come up with a "clean" schedule for start up. I have a new liner, so new water. Some posts recommend getting pH right first, then adding chlorine and CYA. Other posts just jump in with chlorine and CYA. Some places I've read you can tweek the chemistry several times a day, other places say no less than twice daily. I spent 28 years in the USCG, so I'm into the flow chart mentality. Please forgive me if I just haven't landed in the right place to find my one gem of a document. This is by far the most helpful and friendly forum I've joined! Excellent work on everything, especially the short videos.

Here's what I'm looking for - directions that list out in order what to do and when. For example, when using Pool Math, with my well water, both FC and CYA should be "0". But when I get to entering pH, the app asks for TA. Trying to "keep it stupid simple" is harder than it looks. This is what I envision somewhere in the "how to" section:
1. test pH
2. if pH is out of range, test TA and adjust
3. add chlorine to PM's recommendation
4. add CYA to PM's recommendation
My questions come up with time frames. How long should I wait between testing:
a) on new pool startup?
b) on opening an existing pool?
c) during SLAM ops?
How long should I wait between adding chemicals? THEN, how long after making the additions do I wait to test again? I know all the info I'm looking for is there, I've read it. I'm just trying to find it consolidated in one place. The section called Basic Pool Care Schedule is the closest to what I'm looking for. If it were combined with the How Long To Wait article, that would help. I'm thinking along the lines of charts for each situation I mentioned, along with the wait times for adjustments and retesting.

For example, when using Pool Math, with my well water, both FC and CYA should be "0".

If it told you that, there's some problem with Pool Math.

Here's a simple, first flow chart.

Add bleach according to the app to get your FC to 5 ppm -> Buy TF-100 test kit -> Wait for test kit while adding chlorine daily for that 5 ppm level -> Test all parameters when test kit arrives -> Post results here

If your pump is running, usually your chemicals will be mixed within 30 minutes or so. Having said that, if you use pool math and your pool size is correct, there shouldn't be an urgent need to test that quickly. Even when slamming we usually wait a couple hours to see results.

Other than when adding CYA (stabilizer). Generally wait 24 to 48 hours for an accurate reading.

. I spent 28 years in the USCG, so I'm into the flow chart mentality. Please forgive me if I just haven't landed in the right place...
You are forgiven.. and you have found the right place! LOL.. My dad was a AF pilot for 30 years.. everything in the house was a procedure chart. Start the dishwasher?> follow the chart; Mow the lawn?> follow the chart. Go to the grocery store?> Oh geeze the grocery list and the coupon caddy had to be in the order that we walked the aisles. And for that there was a map. DAD!, Are we flying an SR-71?! We just need milk! So excuse me if I poke the bear a little ;) :poke:

So of course because I grew up in the environment I made a start up chart for my pool ;) Generally you want to get the Cl levels up first and everything is centered around that. If there is a lot of crud in the pool, that will affect the Cl demand.. so scoop it out. If there is no CYA, it will affect the CL retention so get that adjusted. I have a SWG.. so I have to get salt in the pool so its starts making Cl. I don't start worrying too much about pH and TA until later in the process since it will dance around as the other pool tasks are being processed. I'll check them in the beginning just to know. The only real order of operation thing is making sure you space out the Cl and MA additions by about 30 min (by some recommendations) to avoid the obvious chemical interaction of the two. And in general it takes about 30 for chem additions to equillibriate in the pool. Every pool is different and you will find out what works best for your pool over time.

You are forgiven.. and you have found the right place! LOL.. My dad was a AF pilot for 30 years.. everything in the house was a procedure chart. Start the dishwasher?> follow the chart; Mow the lawn?> follow the chart. Go to the grocery store?> Oh geeze the grocery list and the coupon caddy had to be in the order that we walked the aisles. And for that there was a map. DAD!, Are we flying an SR-71?! We just need milk! So excuse me if I poke the bear a little ;) :poke:

So of course because I grew up in the environment I made a start up chart for my pool ;) Generally you want to get the Cl levels up first and everything is centered around that. If there is a lot of crud in the pool, that will affect the Cl demand.. so scoop it out. If there is no CYA, it will affect the CL retention so get that adjusted. I have a SWG.. so I have to get salt in the pool so its starts making Cl. I don't start worrying too much about pH and TA until later in the process since it will dance around as the other pool tasks are being processed. I'll check them in the beginning just to know. The only real order of operation thing is making sure you space out the Cl and MA additions by about 30 min (by some recommendations) to avoid the obvious chemical interaction of the two. And in general it takes about 30 for chem additions to equillibriate in the pool. Every pool is different and you will find out what works best for your pool over time.
EXCELLENT! I can feel the love!!! Nice to know I'm in good company! :laughblue:So I have a nice new liner and fresh-ish water...no crud to scrub and I want to keep it that way. I think I was just in sensory overload. When I get this down pat I may actually sit down and flow chart it. Kudos to your Dad for his service - and your family for their support of his missions. Not an easy life, but well worth it! Thank you
If it told you that, there's some problem with Pool Math.

Here's a simple, first flow chart.

Add bleach according to the app to get your FC to 5 ppm -> Buy TF-100 test kit -> Wait for test kit while adding chlorine daily for that 5 ppm level -> Test all parameters when test kit arrives -> Post results here
Alrighty, kit in hand, working on hitting the 5 ppm now. Will follow up with you soonest. Thank you for the reply!

If your pump is running, usually your chemicals will be mixed within 30 minutes or so. Having said that, if you use pool math and your pool size is correct, there shouldn't be an urgent need to test that quickly. Even when slamming we usually wait a couple hours to see results.

Other than when adding CYA (stabilizer). Generally wait 24 to 48 hours for an accurate reading.
Thank you for the parameters. I did have to SLAM a green monster last summer and it was pretty intense for a few days. Working on it now, and will relax a little with this good-to-know timetable!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.