Need some input on a small pool bid Houston

eieio

Gold Supporter
Sep 17, 2016
missouri city tx
I have been lurking for a while and we decided its time to go for it. My family and I have a general idea of what we are looking for and narrowed it down to a three PB. All three came out and gave overview on what they can do and provide. They seem to be very attentive to what we wanted. Spaced them out about a week apart each. We are still overwhelmed with all the info and options. I felt like i was getting sold a water softner again

This is general quote from one builder. Same design we requested from all of them. We want to make pool alittle wider maybe 3ft (Have yet to ask how much) anyone no what the going rate is in houston? but every PB recommened different brands from Jandy Hayward and Pentair.

please let me know if anything is out of sorts or recommendations:

Pool Specifications:
Shape Rectangular
Size: 15*30
Depth 4x5x4
Approximately 13000 gallons

Spa:
Size: 7x7
Raised 12”
Jets 6
Spillway: stack stone
Air blower: Jandy 1 HP Water Feature Pump

Pool Finishes
Tile: 6” Waterline
Coping: travertine
Trim tile: 2x2 (TBD)
Plaster: Quartz Plaster
2 Bubblers and umbrella
Tanning ledge: 6x3
Raised wall with 2- 12” sheer descent

Equipment:
Pumps JANDY 1.65 HP VARIABLE SPEED FILTRATIO PUMP with CONTROLLER
Filter 340 Cartridge filter
Chlorinator: Jandy Aqua Pure Salt System
Lights 2 multi color LED lights (one in pool and one in spa)
Controls: Aqua Link PS-4 Pool Spa with Web Connect
Cleaner: n/a (looking at a polaris 965)
Heater: Jandy 250000 BTU gas Heater
Electrical Conduit 2 one at pad and at pool
Overflow and autofill included

Decking:
Area: 450 ‘
Base: Concrete 4”
Overlay: Spray Deck
Patio: 400 ‘existing patio Spray deck
Drains: yes

Tree stump removal
Permits and HOA submission included
Remove and reinstall fence
NO landscaping, but grade and top area

Thank you in advance:)

pb1.jpgpb2.jpgpb3.jpgsurvey.jpg

Oh I like that design!! NICE job!

Ask about the SWG and get more details. Here at TFP you say to go for a SWG rated for twice the size of your pool to save on power costs and extend cell life.

I would like to see a pic of the yard this pretty pool will be going in!

Kim:kim:

Pic's look great just my preference though:

Upgrade your heater to as large as you can now, you will run it for shorter periods, you will end up heating the pool in the winter several times and it will never be a cheaper time to make the upgrade.

6x3 tanning ledge is really small, go larger or not at all.. Layout an area the size of your bedroom door. That is the size of that ledge.
Who can lay on it with a lounge or even chairs??
Add more spa jets now. even consider a back unit they sell for them.

I have 8 jets in my 7.5ft x 7.5ft spa...

John

Pic's look great just my preference though:

Upgrade your heater to as large as you can now, you will run it for shorter periods, you will end up heating the pool in the winter several times and it will never be a cheaper time to make the upgrade.

6x3 tanning ledge is really small, go larger or not at all.. Layout an area the size of your bedroom door. That is the size of that ledge.
Who can lay on it with a lounge or even chairs??
Add more spa jets now. even consider a back unit they sell for them.

I have 8 jets in my 7.5ft x 7.5ft spa...

John
on the heater. size will check. this bid only one that had a smallest rated heater. the others were using a 400k heater.

waiting to hear back from pb about ledge. pb said from spa edge to other side is 27’. and tanning ledge width 6’ in one email.

we are already on the wall about the spa. jet location two on each wall? PB had no problem doing different heights in the spa

may chk on adding 3 feet in length but kinda nervous about it. im around 56k right now.

Don’t get a single speed pump. That’s like buying a flip phone. It’s old school technology that eats up electricity. Get a variable speed pump. Also, get a SWG unless your ok filling up your pool everyday in the summer with bleach. If the inline chlorinator uses pucks, don’t get it or your CYA levels will gradually get out of control.

ty kimkats. on the swg rated for 12-40k gallons. one PB, we like has been pushing pretty hard against swcg and VSP. recommends an inline chlorinator and single speed pump.

The inline and singe speed pump is a BIG, FAT NOPE!!!! Well we could work around the inline as in NOT use it but that single speed pump will do nothing but cost you money in the long run. The one doing that is trying to keep his up front cost down so you might pick him. Have quote at least a two speed and see what happens to his price!

we are already on the wall about the spa. jet location two on each wall? PB had no problem doing different heights in the spa

may chk on adding 3 feet in length but kinda nervous about it. im around 56k right now.

Granted my pool is fiberglass, however I sat in it before the jets were installed and based on where I will sit, what body parts I need the jets to work on I put 2 on my back, 2 on the opposite side back, 1 in between those for knees/ankles and 1 as a single seat beside me. 1 in the foot well and on the step in for calves and feet if you want to sit on the deck.

I can tell you this. all in with upgrades and utilities we are at 65K, 30ft x 15ft, 7.5ft square spa and 7.5ft square tanning shelf. 6ft deep on deep end 3.5 in shallow. 7K of that price was utilities moving.

Water feature, Travertine coping, 400K heater, 2 pumps (1 pool filter, 1 water feature) SWG,

John

The inline and singe speed pump is a BIG, FAT NOPE!!!! Well we could work around the inline as in NOT use it but that single speed pump will do nothing but cost you money in the long run. The one doing that is trying to keep his up front cost down so you might pick him. Have quote at least a two speed and see what happens to his price!
the one recommending single speed was actually alittle more with all hayward equip. after a while i got overwhelmed with all tbe info

EI,

Gorgeous pool, and you're gonna love it during the hot summers! You've already got input from our pool layout and feature experts. I'm sure you'll get more as well. So I'll stick to other areas. Here are my comments for your consideration:
  • Yes there are a lot of choices but you've got a huge base of experts here to help with the choices and help you get the most perfect pool for you. Engage them with any question you have. And take your time. This is an expensive undertaking that you'll live with for a long time. It's worth the effort. You are in what I call the "competitive phase" . You have maximum leverage to get the best price for any tweaks right now. After you select the winner that leverage drops to zero.
  • As you evaluate bidders select based on value not price. Make sure you're comparing apples to apples as you evaluate bids. For example a cheaper price for 30% shorter warranty period isn't really better value.
  • The 3 major pool equipment manufacturers all make about the same equipment. Experts here seem to prefer Hayward but other experts disagree. There are some advantages to use all the same equipment if you get automation. In some cases for example, the heater and automation supplier has to be the same so you can get temperature setting control and on off control.
  • One additional factor in equipment manufacturer is how handy are you? If there's a DIY'er in the family that plans to do repairs and replacements in the future to save costs beware all online purchases and owner installed parts get zero warranty if you select Jandy. Only dealer supplied and installed equipment/parts get any warranty and this comes a huge cost. I wish I had known this when we bought our pool. Most major manufacturers reduce the warranty but no other is this punitive about DIY. If you don't DIY then this does not matter.
  • You should measure out the pool plus paver or concrete surround on your lot. It looks like you could be close to the setback lines on your survey. This isn't a deal-breaker but could cause a change in shape. Make sure you resolve this before you narrow down to one bidder. At that point you are out of the "competitive phase" so you could get a "non-competitive" price for the change. If you can't resolve this prior to bidder selection you should at least add wording to your contract that says something like: "minor revisions to pool shape to accommodate set-backs or easements will be zero charge unless pool volume changes and price adjustments will be no more than a direct ratio of the bid pool volume"
  • Ask each builder for payment terms. Your goal should be that the builder is getting roughly paid for work-in-place. Also, under no circumstances should you make your final payment prior to completion. Use completion criteria that are easily measurable for the final payment. Make sure that 5-10% of the cost is retained until this criteria is met. Good criteria include: Pool holds water, equipment is tested and works, pool finish is complete and the right color, grading and fence repairs are complete.
  • Payment terms are important in terms of cost and also they give you an inkling into how the relationship may develop. Terms should be fair to both parties. Owners never win by putting the builder in an untenable position. Owners also always lose when the builder does this to them.
  • Pool construction is fairly complex. You will have unexpected issues and the best way to deal with these is to develop a cooperative relationship that drives to fair solutions. So an important criteria for your final selection is "fit". How well can you work together based on your working so far? This should at least be a tie-breaker and you should try to observe any indications you get on this as you work with the bidders to get their final price.
I hope this is helpful. And please do continue to access the experts here as you go forward with this project. They are here to help and they are selling you nothing. They volunteer their time because they are pool experts and enthusiasts that have a passion to help others.

Chris

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Granted my pool is fiberglass, however I sat in it before the jets were installed and based on where I will sit, what body parts I need the jets to work on I put 2 on my back, 2 on the opposite side back, 1 in between those for knees/ankles and 1 as a single seat beside me. 1 in the foot well and on the step in for calves and feet if you want to sit on the deck.

I can tell you this. all in with upgrades and utilities we are at 65K, 30ft x 15ft, 7.5ft square spa and 7.5ft square tanning shelf. 6ft deep on deep end 3.5 in shallow. 7K of that price was utilities moving.

Water feature, Travertine coping, 400K heater, 2 pumps (1 pool filter, 1 water feature) SWG,

John
contacted that Pb for rectangular pool/spa about same dimensions started at 65k. i was like ?

EI,

Gorgeous pool, and you're gonna love it during the hot summers! You've already got input from our pool layout and feature experts. I'm sure you'll get more as well. So I'll stick to other areas. Here are my comments for your consideration:
  • Yes there are a lot of choices but you've got a huge base of experts here to help with the choices and help you get the most perfect pool for you. Engage them with any question you have. And take your time. This is an expensive undertaking that you'll live with for a long time. It's worth the effort. You are in what I call the "competitive phase" . You have maximum leverage to get the best price for any tweaks right now. After you select the winner that leverage drops to zero.
  • As you evaluate bidders select based on value not price. Make sure you're comparing apples to apples as you evaluate bids. For example a cheaper price for 30% shorter warranty period isn't really better value.
  • The 3 major pool equipment manufacturers all make about the same equipment. Experts here seem to prefer Hayward but other experts disagree. There are some advantages to use all the same equipment if you get automation. In some cases for example, the heater and automation supplier has to be the same so you can get temperature setting control and on off control.
  • One additional factor in equipment manufacturer is how handy are you? If there's a DIY'er in the family that plans to do repairs and replacements in the future to save costs beware all online purchases and owner installed parts get zero warranty if you select Jandy. Only dealer supplied and installed equipment/parts get any warranty and this comes a huge cost. I wish I had known this when we bought our pool. Most major manufacturers reduce the warranty but no other is this punitive about DIY. If you don't DIY then this does not matter.
  • You should measure out the pool plus paver or concrete surround on your lot. It looks like you could be close to the setback lines on your survey. This isn't a deal-breaker but could cause a change in shape. Make sure you resolve this before you narrow down to one bidder. At that point you are out of the "competitive phase" so you could get a "non-competitive" price for the change. If you can't resolve this prior to bidder selection you should at least add wording to your contract that says something like: "minor revisions to pool shape to accommodate set-backs or easements will be zero charge unless pool volume changes and price adjustments will be no more than a direct ratio of the bid pool volume"
  • Ask each builder for payment terms. Your goal should be that the builder is getting roughly paid for work-in-place. Also, under no circumstances should you make your final payment prior to completion. Use completion criteria that are easily measurable for the final payment. Make sure that 5-10% of the cost is retained until this criteria is met. Good criteria include: Pool holds water, equipment is tested and works, pool finish is complete and the right color, grading and fence repairs are complete.
  • Payment terms are important in terms of cost and also they give you an inkling into how the relationship may develop. Terms should be fair to both parties. Owners never win by putting the builder in an untenable position. Owners also always lose when the builder does this to them.
  • Pool construction is fairly complex. You will have unexpected issues and the best way to deal with these is to develop a cooperative relationship that drives to fair solutions. So an important criteria for your final selection is "fit". How well can you work together based on your working so far? This should at least be a tie-breaker and you should try to observe any indications you get on this as you work with the bidders to get their final price.
I hope this is helpful. And please do continue to access the experts here as you go forward with this project. They are here to help and they are selling you nothing. They volunteer their time because they are pool experts and enthusiasts that have a passion to help others.

Chris
thank you.

the easement was hurdle due to placement. we wanted to see pool from inside house, even though i could get a bigger pool on the side of house. i think i have like 5 ft more in length i could add.

the spa placement was for privacy. if i flipped one Pb said it would save me 2k due to pipe run. other said no charge in current location chosen.
05A3E1E3-22BE-4D3D-B417-3FC0339B3BEB.jpeg

Don’t get a single speed pump. That’s like buying a flip phone. It’s old school technology that eats up electricity. Get a variable speed pump. Also, get a SWG unless your ok filling up your pool everyday in the summer with bleach. If the inline chlorinator uses pucks, don’t get it or your CYA levels will gradually get out of control.

im 100 % on the SWCG and VSP motor. the PB reccommending 2.7 hp VSP now rather than 1.65 hp? is that an overkill and up sell?

Please let me know which PB quoted you. You can PM me.

I want to make sure it isn’t the PB we used that supposedly went out of business and left us with unpaid subcontractors.

I want to make sure he didn’t just jump to another city close to Houston.

Please let me know which PB quoted you. You can PM me.

I want to make sure it isn’t the PB we used that supposedly went out of business and left us with unpaid subcontractors.

I want to make sure he didn’t just jump to another city close to Houston.
PM sent. man thats scary.. was in contact with one builder mentioned an online review by same person on multiple sites. When i inquired denied it and then when i looked at the company online it stated permanently closed....o_O

im 100 % on the SWCG and VSP motor. the PB reccommending 2.7 hp VSP now rather than 1.65 hp? is that an overkill and up sell?

As far as know it shouldn’t be overkill since you can adjust the speed. You may need more power to drive your water falls. I have a separate pump for my water features and it’s a 2.5hp pump. My pool pump is only 1.9hp.

Definitely factor in costs for utilities. If you have to have an electricity line moved I’m hearing $3k now for that. It’s an additional $350 to move your gas line, and $350 to put in the new meter you need for the heater.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.