Need some help with chemistry

okccj

May 16, 2016
Oklahoma
Pool is cloudy. Can only see about 18 inches down.
I added a lot of bleach on Saturday afternoon and today (Sunday), it's basically all gone.
These are my numbers from the pool store:
FC and Totach Cl: 0.11
pH: 7.2
TA: 64
Ca Hardness: 39
CYA: 5
Phosphates: 530

Should I add both baking soda and stabilizer? Please advise.

You need a good test kit, like the one in my signature! Don’t use pool store test results, they are questionable.

I wouldn’t add anything other than liquid chlorine using the Pool Math app to calculate how much per day, until you get your test kit.

You need a good test kit, like the one in my signature! Don’t use pool store test results, they are questionable.

I wouldn’t add anything other than liquid chlorine using the Pool Math app to calculate how much per day, until you get your test kit.

I understand the need for a proper test kit and for the sake of argument, let's assume the pool store's numbers are accurate. How should I proceed?

Assuming you get a test kit and confirm the numbers, it looks like you just need need FC and more CYA. Your TA seems fine, though on the lower end of recommended levels. I would also suggest you only add chlorine until you have a test kit. If you raise your CYA or TA levels based on the PS tests and later test yourself to find levels are high, the TA is a slow process to lower and the only option to lower CYA is a partial drain/refill.

I just told you how I would proceed. I‘m sorry, I can’t advocate for adding stuff you might not need - that would waste your money and time, and could possible make things worse, rather than better.

If you want to rely on the pool store test results, you can still use Pool Math to determine additions.

No. We don't, for the sake of anything, ever base advice off of pool store numbers.

If you actually understand the need for a proper test kit, then you recognize that good data is necessary for good advice. You won't find guesses or assumptions based on unreliable data here. I would say "sorry", but truthfully I would feel much worse telling someone the wrong thing based off of misleading data than I ever do telling someone "if you can't provide us with reliable data we can't help you".

Last edited:
Okay, I've now properly tested my water with a Taylor K2005. Please advise as these are my numbers and my water is hazy with only about 20 inches of visibility:

Free Cl: <1
ph: ~7.3
Alkalinity: ~65
CYA: ~12

Should I raise CYA to about 40, then SLAM?

You will want to get your CYA to 30 ppm. Not sure how you measured 12?

If you have the K2005 kit, you need to get the FAS-DPD test before you will be able to follow the SLAM Process

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.