Need some help lowering alkalinity please

joem1cha3l

May 23, 2020
NY
I use the TF-100 test kit. My TC was off, as was my Alkalinity. It told me to lower PH to 7.0-7.2 before treating Alk. I got my PH down to 7.1/7.2 using muriatic acid and now im ready to treat the Alk but I cant get the calculator to tell me what to do next? I have Borax ready. I think thats what I need? My Alkalinity is around 150 right now. Details in sig.

Don’t add borax. If you want to lower your TA then aerate your pool until it’s up to 8.0 and then acid again.

That said - you really don’t need to chase TA unless you have CSI concerns. Just let it naturally rise to 8.0 over time and drop the pH with acid when it gets high. Over time the TA will come down with each acid addition.

How are you chlorinating?

Don’t add borax. If you want to lower your TA then aerate your pool until it’s up to 8.0 and then acid again.

That said - you really don’t need to chase TA unless you have CSI concerns. Just let it naturally rise to 8.0 over time and drop the pH with acid when it gets high. Over time the TA will come down with each acid addition.

How are you chlorinating?

Liquid Chlorine only. How do I aerate? Probably a stupid question...sorry. Do I point my return jet up so it catches air on on return?

Reactions: splashpad
on top of Ice's question, can you post your full test results please?

:edit to add: Yes, breaking the surface and churning up the water will help to speed the natural PH rise with your TA level :)

Liquid Chlorine only. How do I aerate? Probably a stupid question...sorry. Do I point my return jet up so it catches air on on return?
Yep. And if you have kids you throw them in the pool and let them splash around. Or you could rig up something with PVC to make it splash down, if you wanted. Like I said though - it’s really not something you need to force. It will happen naturally. The downside of high TA is that the pH will rise quicker which is what needs to happen to lower the TA with acid anyway. :)

Acid reduces both pH and TA.

Over time, TA drives pH back up. Aeration -- which could be as simple as swimmers splashing -- speeds the rise. And then you add acid again. Each time the TA goes down a little more.

But what is your rush to lower TA? It doesn't cause cloudiness. It doesn't cause algae. Doesn't increase chlorine demand. Doesn't irritate eyes or skin.

Micromanaging your pool to get everything exactly perfect (when there is a wide range of acceptable values) will just end up driving you crazy and costing you a lot. That's why the pool stores do it that way.

Acid reduces both pH and TA.

Over time, TA drives pH back up. Aeration -- which could be as simple as swimmers splashing -- speeds the rise. And then you add acid again. Each time the TA goes down a little more.

But what is your rush to lower TA? It doesn't cause cloudiness. It doesn't cause algae. Doesn't increase chlorine demand. Doesn't irritate eyes or skin.

Micromanaging your pool to get everything exactly perfect (when there is a wide range of acceptable values) will just end up driving you crazy and costing you a lot. That's why the pool stores do it that way.

I guess its just that. My pool feels perfect to swim in and its crystal clear. I bought this TF-100 test kit and im trying to dial it in perfect haha. If I didn't test, I'd think my pool were perfect. I was at 7.5 PH before I added acid to drop the PH.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I guess its just that. My pool feels perfect to swim in and its crystal clear. I bought this TF-100 test kit and im trying to dial it in perfect haha. If I didn't test, I'd think my pool were perfect. I was at 7.5 PH before I added acid to drop the PH.
If your pH is stable then there is no reason to chase your tail. Leave it alone.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.