Need some help designing plumbing layout

I'm lost, why won't the above ground setup work?

This is what the run looks like now that I moved the equipment. He said my Hayward above ground powerflo matrix 1.5 HP will be hard to prime if I can even get it to prime then won't suck enough water in like an in ground pump to work.

I am sure there is a good chance he is right, but I bought this all new last season so I certainly want to give it a shot. I guess I'll find out in a few days when I get this all plumbed up.

Ohh yeah you need a inground pump

Thanks I figured the guy who owned store where I bought SWG was right, though the guy who built the pool and sold me the pump last year said it would work. I had it next to pool last year and he said it would work if I moved it.

Guess I’ll find out soon, I’m almost done running the water lines.

Has anyone ever heard of the Hayward powerflo II?

It’s an above ground that is self Priming.

Maybe if I got that I could keep my filter?

Thanks to everyone who helped me and here is an update. The above ground pump and filter I had next to the pool last year when we built it did absolutely nothing in the new spot. I purchased a new Speck Badu pump and waterway filter. I also added the Solax Omega SWG.

I ran all new electrical myself with 60 amp subpanel for heater and separate circuits for the pump. I plumbed in all underground lines and equipment and fired it up today! Proud to say not one leak. :)

Any ideas for backfilling the trench? Should I just throw back in the same dirt minus rocks. Is sand really necessary?

thanks

I guess I'll just add the sand to be safe. Not sure what it actually does though?
I can't speak to your local code requirements but the sand protects and supports the plastic from it's surroundings. It is free from any sharp or hard objects that could cause stress points as the backfill settles, it easily flows beneath the pipe and is easily compacted ensuring full support to prevent ovaling and bearing type failures, and it is chemically neutral. Most of these points don't matter nearly as much at these small diameters that we are working with but it's a bigger deal when things scale up.
The last point is that the sand is probably going to look very different than the natural soils you would be digging through. If you were to miss the warning tape, the drastic color change of the soil should be a clear indicator that something important is there. A heads up for the next guy who comes along, who will most likely be you.

Your set-up looks great btw!

I can't speak to your local code requirements but the sand protects and supports the plastic from it's surroundings. It is free from any sharp or hard objects that could cause stress points as the backfill settles, it easily flows beneath the pipe and is easily compacted ensuring full support to prevent ovaling and bearing type failures, and it is chemically neutral. Most of these points don't matter nearly as much at these small diameters that we are working with but it's a bigger deal when things scale up.
The last point is that the sand is probably going to look very different than the natural soils you would be digging through. If you were to miss the warning tape, the drastic color change of the soil should be a clear indicator that something important is there. A heads up for the next guy who comes along, who will most likely be you.

Your set-up looks great btw!

thanks for the education and the compliment! I'm pretty proud of myself for setting up the pad, and all the electrical and pool plumbing by myself. :) The members here are a huge help!

Reactions: MWengineer

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.