Need some expert help!

Ischia

Gold Supporter
Jul 22, 2018
Skillman,New Jersey
Fed up with local pool companies and buying unnecessary chemicals. Last week pool began to get cloudy than turned light green (could barely see bottom drain at the deep end). According to the pool companies pool report (from Sunday July 23, 2018) my free chlorine was at 8.61ppm, total chlorine was at 9.31ppm, combined chlorine .7ppm,Hardness 74ppm, Alkalinty 80 ppm, Cyanuric Acid 149 ppm, phosphate over 1761 ppm! I was fed up throwing away good money! That's when I came across this site, did some reading, ordered the Tf-100 test kit (which actually came in tonight!).Here are my test results taken tonight, 7:30 p.m., water temp. 82*. FC - 3ppm, CC - .5, TC - 3.5, TA - 100, Ph 6.8, Cl 5, Br 10. To clear up the pool and get rid of the light green algae, I went out and bought a five gallon pail of liquid chlorine (12%) from another pool company and poured about 1/2 of it into the pool (Monday night).Pool for the moment is crystal clear. I also turned off the chlorinator. For all the years we had the pool (20), we've been using the 3" pucks from either Costco or Sam's club and buying countless chemicals (and spending a lot of $$$$) from our local pool companies trying to keep our pool safe and clear to swim in. No more!!! If anyone can please help with any information it would be greatly appreciated!!!Thanks, Frank

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Looks like you missed a few tests ... and the most important one to know what to do next ... the CYA!

If the pool companies result is any indication, your CYA is WAY too high (likely from the continued use of trichlor pucks)
You need to realize that the CYA buffers your chlorine and you need to maintain a certain level of FC relative to your CYA level to keep a clear pool.
Check out the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA] ... your CYA might not even be on the chart it is so high.

You really need to get the CYA in check and may need to replace at least 1/2 of your water.
And then to eradicate what is in your water, you should follow the SLAM Process process ... do NOT just blindly dump in all the liquid chlorine.

Have you discovered Pool School yet? Start with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Jason, thanks for your quick reply! I did do the CYA test but forgot to post! My results of the CYA test never made it up to the 100 graduation mark! It actually was about 1/8" below the 100 mark!!! I had a suspension I would need to change out the water after reading a few posts on TFP! The pool company kept on insisting that my CYA of 149 was okay because there target values where from 30-300, and he kept on telling me my pool's CYA was right in the middle and not to worry about it!!! I have well water and after about one minute the water is pretty cold (a good thing!). Should I have the hose at the deep end (bottom) and the pump on the shallow end? Again, pool water temp. last night was 82*. I will keep reading up on how to properly maintaining my levels on this site, I only wished I found this place years ago!!! Thanks again for all your insight. Frank

You will need to replace quite a bit of water to get the CYA down. Since currently your pool is clear you can do this gradually, perhaps drain down 1/2 now and refill, then draining again to below the returns when it is time to close the pool.

Be sure to keep the FC level high enough for your current CYA level. Put your test results into PoolMath and it will tell you how much chlorine you need.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.