Need some assistance

The Aqua Chem Shock Xtra Blue does contain copper so stay away from that. The Aqua Chem Shock Plus does not although it contains some other things which isnt to worry about.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/84224-Different-types-of-Dichlor-and-Pool-Math
Also the Aqua Chem Shock Plus is only 58.2% Dichlor and pool math uses 99% Dichlor so you would have to ad 40% more than what it says. You do not want to add Stabilizer and Dichlor unless you figure them both up and see how much CYA is being added by both of them.

Is the water still cloudy/slimy?

Looks like you need to SLAM. CC is greater than 0.5. Check out the guide in Pool School: ShockLevelAndMaintain Read through it and ask questions if you have them. Being in GA, you may want to raise the CYA slightly but for now, leave it alone until you complete the SLAM process.

Alkalinity is also high, but that should be addressed after SLAMing.

Welcome back!

How's your water looking? FC at 4 is a decent maintenance level for CYA 30; however, CC at 1ppm makes one wonder if something is growing.

Your pH is a bit high. You'll want to bring it down some, especially if you end up needing to do a SLAM to get rid of algae.

water looks clear no fogginess no slime just blue and clear.

i just finished reading up the SLAM process seems it will take long to do...but I'm up for the task

my first step is raising chlorine level to 12ppm correct then i test every hour to maintain it and just wait after that .. am i on the right track here ?

side question can i use that shock treatment they sell in the stores or shoudi keep away from that.?

You should test every hour or so when you start, but will not need to test that often latter in the process.

You should stick with liquid chlorine / bleach. The "shock treatment" is likely either dichlor which adds CYA or cal-hypo which adds calcium ... neither of which you need right now.

See: How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hard to say. You may only need 3-4 gallons for the entire process since you have a small pool. You do not want to have it sitting around for a long time either, so you might only want to buy 1 more gallon for now.

ok so its now 6:10pm in lovely southern California and after 2 hours my FC is 12.5 and my CC IS 0.5 ... So far so good

i will be re testing at 8:00 pm once its nice and dark to see where I'm at and hopefully i can perform a overnight FC loss test.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.