Need some advice...

the pump is going next t the white roof, between that and the chicken coop in front of the side by side. its going to be about a 40 foot run front the skimmer and intakes

Attachments

• RemoteMediaFile_6553732_0_2021_08_03_18_43_22.jpg
    RemoteMediaFile_6553732_0_2021_08_03_18_43_22.jpg
    699.7 KB · Views: 29
Reactions: Dan7667
sacrificial anode ?
I hadn’t really gotten that far as of yet. That’s not something I think I need done right away. I’m just trying to get the plumbing stuff worked out first.

I've never done anything with a pool, I can build you cars, trucks, boats and buildings but Pools are foreign to me as of the moment. so I’m sure I will get to that step at some point soon lol

The IntelliFlo pump can prime a suction line that is up to about 5 feet above the water line.

If your plumbing has no air leaks the water will stay in the pump and not drain back to the pool when the pump is off. It is like water staying is a straw when you put your finger on the top of it. A CV is not necessary and over time will be one more thing that will eventually fail.

Last edited:
I added a skimmer to my intex pool. I used the face plate to mark screw holes, then drilled the screw holes through the liner, then screwed the skimmer box on, then cut the square out with a razor knife after the skimmer was screwed together.

I used the two original intakes as returns as you mentioned. I actually cut them out with a jigsaw when the pool was half filled with water. I have hard PVC pipe for all my plumbing, but last summer I used the original intex fittings and hoses as the returns.. If you have any questions on how to do it, send me a PM.

The IntelliFlo pump can prime a suction line that is up to about 5 feet above the water line.

If your plumbing has no air leaks the water will stay in the pump and not drian back to the pool when the pump is off. It is like water staying is a straw when you put your finger on the top of it. A CV is not necessary and over time will be one more thing that will eventually fail.
Well with that being the case I won’t be needing the CV I picked up today and will return them.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I added a skimmer to my intex pool. I used the face plate to mark screw holes, then drilled the screw holes through the liner, then screwed the skimmer box on, then cut the square out with a razor knife after the skimmer was screwed together.

I used the two original intakes as returns as you mentioned. I actually cut them out with a jigsaw when the pool was half filled with water. I have hard PVC pipe for all my plumbing, but last summer I used the original intex fittings and hoses as the returns.. If you have any questions on how to do it, send me a PM.
I’ve already installed the skimmer per the instructions in the reply earlier in this post. I haven’t been able to test it for leaks as of yet as it started rain and a huge electrical storm as I was getting the last two screws in.
I am running all hard lines up to the pool but connecting to the pool with flexible hoses as the walls of the pool move on the style of pool I‘ve got and hard lines would end up causing issues with the liner if I didn’t add a flex point.

I hadn’t really gotten that far as of yet. That’s not something I think I need done right away. I’m just trying to get the plumbing stuff worked out first.

I've never done anything with a pool, I can build you cars, trucks, boats and buildings but Pools are foreign to me as of the moment. so I’m sure I will get to that step at some point soon lol
a small add-on that really helps with a salt generator ... ask your co-builder or electrician

I used the original suction ports as returns after installing my skimmer. I used the gasket as a template by tracing the inside of the gasket with a marker centered on the reinforced portion of the liner and simply cutting out the old ports with a thin serrated blade. You don't have to use both ports, you could cut out one, and plug the other one. You don't need hard PVC pipe like I have. The skimmer basket and return ports come with hose adapters by default.

The original "return" port which is pictured next to my skimmer, I've never used, as I immediately hooked up the skimmer to my brand new pool. Most skimmer baskets come with one return port.

Return1.jpgReturn2.jpgSkimmer.jpg

Last year, when I put the skimmer box on, I had the pool filled to just below where the bottom of the square flange would be. This year when I cut the return holes. I drained to just below the holes I wanted to cut.

I tried a razor knife, but it slipped a couple times, and I was afraid I was going to slice the liner. So, I drilled a small starter hole with a drill bit just inside my mark, and used a metal cutting blade on my jigsaw at a very slow speed. I should have had the wife film me doing it, because while scary at the time, it would have made for must-see TV, LOL.

Edit to add: Conversely, the razor knife worked flawlessly inside the skimmer flange, and there is no fear/danger to "going outside the lines".

Here's the specific skimmer basket I ordered, which has the same size and screw pattern as a standard Hayward basket, at a much better price point.

Edit:
Oops! I confused this thread with another user who had specific intex questions. I won't delete the above couple of posts, incase someone who lands on this thread in the future finds them useful.

Last edited:
So things have escalated rather quickly.
I am now the owner of a-
IntelliPro 013004-01 pump
Easy Touch 4
Salt cell ic20
Screen Logic
Solar touch
All of this for a 5k gallon above ground pool. Overkill? Nah, just enough, well that is unless these solar panels don't keep it where I want it year round and I will be adding an actual heater I reckon.

Now I am working on installing it all and trying to figure out how to put in the new jets and not set it up to rip the pool and where to put my salt cell and zinc anode in the plumbing. I'm thinking it goes in this order-

Pool->pump->filter->solar->salt cell->zinc anode->pool

How far apart should the zinc and salt cell be to avoid issues?

How do I cut the holes and set it up right so it doesn't rip as it wont have a reinforced ring around it

Thanks for all of your help so far folks, you have been a great help so far.

Just a little update. Thanks for all your help folks, your knowledge has made a bit of this a lot easierF81EBB6A-2CA8-433E-8FF8-29AFB1C96017.jpeg

Attachments

• 05E75536-EC79-4437-9B33-C5D93CAAB759.jpeg
    05E75536-EC79-4437-9B33-C5D93CAAB759.jpeg
    627.5 KB · Views: 5
  • A975860E-FCD9-473F-AB57-16B9F8A4F050.jpeg
    A975860E-FCD9-473F-AB57-16B9F8A4F050.jpeg
    806.6 KB · Views: 6
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.