Need SLAM guidance

Incredibles

May 12, 2019
Southcentral PA
First time opening pool and need assistance with SLAM. Initial numbers on Monday were:
FC = 0
CC = 0
PH = 7.2
TA = 50
CYA = 40

Pool was slightly cloudy from sediment.

SLAMmed to 16ppm.

Yesterday morning reading (Tuesday) 6:15am
FC = 15
CC = 1

Brought back up to SLAM. Retested at 8:15am
FC = 17
CC = 0.5

Brushed and vacuumed 2x. Backwashed filter.

Tested again at 6pm
FC = 9
CC = 0.5

This is where I got confused...I know the SLAM criteria
1. Clear water - it's crystal clear
2. CC less than 1 - I hit that during the day
3. OCLT - I hit that with the initial Tuesday reading

So I starting second guessing myself and ended up bringing it back up to SLAM at 9:15pm
FC = 16.5
CC = 0.5

This morning (Wed) I tested at 5:50am (pool is crystal clear!)
FC = 16
CC = 1

What is happening? What do I do? Did I meet the SLAM criteria to stop and allow FC to drift back down? Is there a specific time frame all of this has to happen to meet the criteria? I'm totally confused now :)

HI and GREAT job so far! Wonderful first post!! THANKS! (can you add what test kit you are using to your signature please?)

What is happening is you ARE on the right path but not quite done. Have you been brushing the pool? If not then you need to. This helps find every little green monster aka algae in your pool. I think the increase in the CC what the tail end of the SLAM. I would keep the SLAM up for a day or two more to make sure it is all gone!

Now when you say clear water is it clear enough to through a dime in the deep end and see if it is heads or tails clear?

Reactions: Incredibles
Thank you for your response! How often should I be testing the FC/CC throughout the day?

I have brushed and vacuumed many times since opening on Monday. Do I need to brush down the inside of the skimmer boxes too? And yes, I would meet your clarity goal :)

Last edited:
Yes, scrub anyplace you have water. If the water is super clear and no more debris to vacuum up, then you could probably get by testing and dosing every 4 hours.

I brushed every single surface, including behind jet return caps and lights. Readings so far today:

9:50am
FC = 13
CC = 0
Brought back up to 16ppm

1:50pm
FC = 12
CC = 0.5
Brought back up to 16ppm

1. What do you suggest for the remainder of the day?
2. What happens if CC goes back up to 1 tomorrow morning again? Feels like I'm looking at an endless loop. The pool looks CRYSTAL CLEAR!

I brushed every single surface, including behind jet return caps and lights. Readings so far today:

9:50am
FC = 13
CC = 0
Brought back up to 16ppm

1:50pm
FC = 12
CC = 0.5
Brought back up to 16ppm

1. What do you suggest for the remainder of the day?
2. What happens if CC goes back up to 1 tomorrow morning again? Feels like I'm looking at an endless loop. The pool looks CRYSTAL CLEAR!
I'm having vague memories of someone chasing CC a few years ago. He had the lights out and everything but it kept showing CC. Turns out it was a contaminated vial. Scrubbing it out good won't take long or cost much. Worth a try.

Reactions: Incredibles
I'm having vague memories of someone chasing CC a few years ago. He had the lights out and everything but it kept showing CC. Turns out it was a contaminated vial. Scrubbing it out good won't take long or cost much. Worth a try.

I just checked FC/CC at 6:30pm - sun is off the pool now
FC = 11.5
CC = 1

I don't understand why as soon as the sun goes off the pool, my CC shows 1. This is the 3rd day. And yet the pool still looks crystal clear.

What do you suggest?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.