Need recommendation for new filter and vac pump on 15 year old pool

lds

May 12, 2014
Dunkirk, MD
Hello - We have had a pool for 15 years and finally our filter has had it. Here is what I know:

20 x 40 gunite
Filter: Jacuzzi D.E. filter EW75
Pump: Pentair whisperflo (can't read anything else on it due to rust from previous leak) Pump is still working other than rust.
We use combination of trichlor and bleach to sanitize pool.

I am guessing it is between 30,000 and 35,000 gallons.

Should we stay with a D.E. filter? I hate the fiberglass top (unless they have changed material) I also am always concerned about the D.E. saying it is a carcinogen. Any recommendations for a new filter would be great.
Thank you

Thank you to both of you for replying. I must say I am kind of disappointed I did not get more responses. Maybe the experts are not allowed to name certain brands they like. My pool guy insists on staying with DE but I was thinking about cartridges even though he says it is constant cleaning. I guess I will go elsewhere for some answers

What type of debris do you get the most of?
For me it’s fine dust and sand, so a filter that handles smaller debris (DE or Cartridge) is best. I also have an in floor cleaning system, so filter type is really important, and I don’t mind my cartridge filter. If I had a robot to take on more of the heft of the cleaning I could consider other types.

I’ve had sand, DE and now a cartridge. Backwashing of sand filter was actually of less hassle despite the heavy water usage and emptying it all into a clean out, but of all it was least dreadful of a filter cleaning cycle of all types...I actually liked it. Dave is right, we like what we have.

DE was too messy and never felt secure it was at its optimal performance. I do like cartridge filters, just be sure to get the largest you can afford to increase change intervals-and your large pool needs likely the largest one they offer. I ordered my last Pentair Clean and Clear + 240 off Amazon for $549, 2 years ago. Retrospectively I wish I woulda got a larger unit, but water is flawless.

I am fairly new here, but I think this time of the year it slows down here, thus the lack of replies.
I also totally missed this post.
My pool sounds close to yours.

I am also in the process of getting a new pump, and heater but keeping my filter.
My pool has a 40 sq.ft DE filter. Its an older Hayward Perflex, it works well, and did not need back washing this year.
When I closed the pool I took it apart for cleaning and it was not that hard, nor messy.
In researching, my filter is at its limit for my pool, so when it gives out, I will stay with DE but go larger.

As far as your pump, make sure its the right size for your pool and new filter.

I also am always concerned about the D.E. saying it is a carcinogen

If your worried about breathing the DE in, you can always wear a safety mask.
Me, personally, I am not concerned with it

Thank you to all. I have been looking into it a little more as to the type of filter. I grew up with a sand filter and as I can remember never had any problems with it but we did not seem to dote on our pool like I seem to have to do now. What I don't like about the DE is that yes it is messy, breathing it in, and it seemed over time my pressure gauge each year just got higher and higher as a start up point so I had to clean out the filter more often from the compacted DE. Also when you clean the filter it seems to stay around and kill all the grass where we washed it out. Anyway, it sounds like cartridge filters are also a lot of cleaning. I am starting to lean toward a sand filter using filter glass to filter out smaller microns of debris. Has anyone used filter glass? By the way our pool gets dirty fast. Dogs, teens all the time are in it. We try to keep the dogs out. Also are all filters made out of fiberglass? Thanks.

A properly sized cartridge filter should only need to be cleaned once per year.

A sand filter can filter your pool water just fine using sand. Do not fall for the sales pitch on 'special' filter media.

Nearly all filter housings are now made of fiberglass. It is more economical than the previously used stainless steel housings.

With dogs especially the use of skimmer socks will dramatically reduce the amount of material getting to the filter. Also, how do you vacuum? A robot also reduces the material getting to a filter.

Please add a signature. Read Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post
Information in your signature will show up each time you post and it makes advice more accurate as we know what equipment we are dealing with.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.