Need quick help - has anyone had issues with travertine at waterline?

Cluckr7

Jun 19, 2020
Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
I had asked for my ceramic waterline tile to go all the way around my pool, but the tile guys ended up having the splitface travertine and tumbled travertine on my raised walls extend into the waterline. It was a mistake.

I must admit it looks better this way and I am trying to decide if I have them fix it.

I have read a few posts about the risks of algae with travertine at the waterline but honestly there’s not a lot of first hand experiences posted.

Anyone have experience with this?

I have splitface on my raised wall which is also part of the waterline. For the most part it’s fine but there are a few porous pieces that allow some light algae to grow in the small divots. I hit it with a light bleach/water spray bottle every so often. Not a huge deal but something I don’t have to do on the sides that have my tile waterline.

Thanks for the replies. I ended up having them fix it back to my original plan of waterline tile all around. Definitely looked better with splitface continuous but my MO has been as low maintenance as possible so I decided not to take the risk. Sounds like it wouldn’t have been a big issue but I am pretty happy with how it turned out either way.

Two pictures one with splitface all the way and one with waterline tile (the final).

Attachments

• CB8F0B77-027F-4C55-B03C-410B2DDC8675.jpeg
    CB8F0B77-027F-4C55-B03C-410B2DDC8675.jpeg
    373.2 KB · Views: 68
  • 5860328F-9409-45F8-B5AF-9FDEAEFA11F5.jpeg
    5860328F-9409-45F8-B5AF-9FDEAEFA11F5.jpeg
    494.8 KB · Views: 68
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.