LifeTime Supporter
Jun 1, 2011
Northern Maryland (near Delaware)
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
My pump/filter is about 14,years old and had a screaming bearing for a few years after a line broke and flooded it.
I have Hayward s190tscp dreamline with. a 1.5 hp powerflo lx motor/pump for 15x30 agp which is about 10000 gallons. The motor and pump winter inside so the rust puzzles me and pool is chlorine, the bottom of motor is rotted bad and the base that mounts to the platform broke off. Multiport is getting tough to turn.
Local shop has Hayward s166t and s180t. I am looking at s180t. Now my dilemma store say 1 hp should be sufficient, she has 1 hp, 1.5 hp powerful and 1hp and 1.5hp matrix in twist lock. So she is not pushing what she has. The place where I got it originally was primarily an inground pool place, so maybe they over specked it? That twist lock is code in my area.
Thoughts on 1.0 vs 1.5 powerful vs matrix.

Pump screaming/rusted motor - bad bearings, from bad seal.
The 1hp Powerflow Matrix with the 180 should be good. Twist lock just refers to the way the pump lid attaches.
What happened was the flex pvc that attaches to the pump broke at the black pvc thread in adapter on the pump when we were away from home. The water dumped all over the motor, the pool drained to the skimmer level. The GFCI tripped at some point. So I don’t know how long it may have ran dry. The pump would not start and as I was shopping pumps it eventually dried out and started running, noisy but it ran for a few years. Now the case is just rotted, just don’t feel like repiping.
My county has a code we have to have a twist lock power cord and it is I think 32 inches max. And the county inspector did come out, Checked the depth of wires,bonding, timer hookup and he has a sting he measured from rail of pool to pole where twist lock outlet was.

Would the matrix be preferred over the powerflo lx? Also will downsizing to the 1 hp filter better or worse with sand? I realize the flow rate is different and I am hard piped.
Try this thread:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.