Need new robotic cleaner with remote capability - HELP please!!!

usnacnd

Apr 23, 2019
Chesapeake, Virginia
I am trying to decide what to buy to replace our Tiger Shark that I had forgotten died (after 8 years of faithful service and only a few repairs - by husband). Borrowed a Polaris P825 from inlaws and it was constantly stuck on the drains, wouldn't go in a straight line (cord not tangled) and never went into the shallow end - if I dragged it or started it there, it would make maybe 3 crooked lines in the shallow part and then return to the deep end. Not impressed. Next I borrowed our neighbor's M400 and it worked better, was in the shallow end more and did a better job of picking up the DE that the filter shot into the pool, but when I lifted it out, it dumped all kinds of stuff out the bottom just like the Tiger Shark did in the past. I need a cleaner with some sort of remote control or bluetooth capability because we have a big pool and the shark never got in one corner of the shallow end and one in the deep end. That leaves me with the Polaris P955 or P965 or some of the Dolphin cleaners (seems like Aquabots aren't well reviewed and I want top basket not bottom). There aren't many reviews on the Dolphin Active 30i (which I believe I should be able to demo this week). The M500 is sort of appealing (except for the dumping dregs out the bottom when removed from the pool like the M400) since it has a roller brush in the center of the bottom of the unit which might keep it off the drain covers). HELP PLEASE with suggestions - tried and true suggestions please. I appreciate that people love their new vacuums but I don't want one that will only work for 2 or 3 years when I am looking at spending $1400. Thank you very much!!!

Reactions: dallasaggie
It doesn't let debris out as you are waiting for the water to drain out? Will it pick up the DE on the bottom? Does it get caught on the drain? My biggest concerns currently...

The no-handle models with the large basket have a one-way flap that limits the return of stuff into the pool (you'll see some specks drop back, but not leaves, twigs or actual debris).

Hmm, don’t know why your M400 dumped stuff back in the pool when you lifted it out. It shouldn’t. My M500 also has the flaps and they work very well at keeping the dirt inside the robot.

Although the Bluetooth is not great for driving the beast around, it is useful for setting a 3.5 hr clean time so that it will get all the parts of your pool. If you have a very large pool like you indicate make sure that the robot has the extended clean time.

I concur with Kato. I've attached a picture of the boots that keep debris from falling back. I cannot detect anything going back into the pool, and that even includes the first time I used the M500 after having only a pressure side cleaner previously. The Bluetooth remote functionality is disappointing at best. I can't help but wonder if the older dedicated remote control worked better. Mine runs over the drains with no problem. Also I think the third brush, which Maytronics calls "active", runs in the opposite direction to the front and rear. It does an excellent job of scrubbing.
M500Boot.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.