Need new pump and sand filter

Jason.H.

Aug 19, 2020
North Carolina
So came home today and pool pump wasn’t running and was cold to the touch. Have a GE digital pump timer and it had black stuff around it. Opened it up and wiring and circuit board inside are melted. Pump has been running hot all summer and was planning on replacing it and sand filter next spring anyways. They are both very old. Like old old. Filter is Hayward s240 (discontinued) and pump is Hayward also, single speed and I believe 1.5hp. Pool is 18x36 22k gallon chlorine with new liner this past spring. One skimmer, one main drain, and two returns. It’s overwhelming looking at sand filters and pumps. Current filter is side valve and seems most I see new are top valve. Anyone have any direction or insight? Not looking to spend a fortune but not wanting to buy cheap junk either. Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_3869.jpeg
    IMG_3869.jpeg
    543 KB · Views: 14
Can you confirm if you have any automation system or is your pump just on a simple timer? Show picture if you can.
It would be best to move to a variable speed pump. You can go with 1 of the top 3 from Pentair, Jandy or Hayward. Also there are lower cost pumps such as Calimar. See below

You can do a direct replacement for a sand filter since you have the multiport valve shown in the picture.
Alternatively you could look at a DE filter since you also have the multiport valve. or to make the set up simpler you can go to a cartridge filter.
How much do you use the drain setting on your multiport valve other than for backwash of your sand filter?

Provide us some more info and we can narrow down your needs.

Having trouble finding direct replacement of sand filter since they don’t make that one anymore. No automation. And rarely have to use the drain setting on multi valve.

Attachments

• IMG_4825.jpeg
    IMG_4825.jpeg
    704.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4826.jpeg
    IMG_4826.jpeg
    553.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4830.jpeg
    IMG_4830.jpeg
    436.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4829.jpeg
    IMG_4829.jpeg
    443.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4828.jpeg
    IMG_4828.jpeg
    609.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4827.jpeg
    IMG_4827.jpeg
    542.8 KB · Views: 7
I would no longer buy my intelliflo for $2022 after tax, and that's at a discount online wholesaler. My PB usually doubles his cost which is close to what I can get it for online. So $3k to $4k from the PB ? It's insane when there's no automation that requires a particular brand. I would buy the 3 HP Calimar for $519 and if it somehow was a dud that wasn't covered under warranty I'd laugh and buy another, knowing I could still buy 1.5 more before before I lost out. Statistically speaking, the first pump would last as long as any pump.

I'd also swap to a 400 sq ft+ cartridge filter. If your yard has lots of debris, then 500+. It'll go all season without cleaning. Swap the MPV for a 3way diverter and keep the waste line. It comes in handy.

Reactions: HermanTX
I would no longer buy my intelliflo for $2022 after tax, and that's at a discount online wholesaler. My PB usually doubles his cost which is close to what I can get it for online. So $3k to $4k from the PB ? It's insane when there's no automation that requires a particular brand. I would buy the 3 HP Calimar for $519 and if it somehow was a dud that wasn't covered under warranty I'd laugh and buy another, knowing I could still buy 1.5 more before before I lost out. Statistically speaking, the first pump would last as long as any pump.

I'd also swap to a 400 sq ft+ cartridge filter. If your yard has lots of debris, then 500+. It'll go all season without cleaning. Swap the MPV for a 3way diverter and keep the waste line. It comes in handy.
My plumbing is all 1.5”. Would the 1.5hp be enough?

+1 on the use of a low cost Calimar pump since there is no automation or timer existing.
Reduce the headache of the Multiport Valve and go with a large cartridge filter. Keep the drain line via using a 3 way valve on your plumbing before going to filter.
Since you will be doing some replumbing go with 2inch PVC as that will make it easier to connect to the new pump and filter.
I would set the pump up such that is in direct line of the suction pipes and avoid the multiple 90 deg elebows leading to the pump.

Reactions: Jason.H.
Would the 1.5hp be enough?
It would but the 3HP moves more water at the same RPM, allowing it to be run considerably slower to save even more electricity. On the flagship pumps the extra cost of the larger pump may take its lifespan to recoup, but on this pump it was $150 difference the last I checked.

Reactions: Jason.H.
+1 on the use of a low cost Calimar pump since there is no automation or timer existing.
Reduce the headache of the Multiport Valve and go with a large cartridge filter. Keep the drain line via using a 3 way valve on your plumbing before going to filter.
Since you will be doing some replumbing go with 2inch PVC as that will make it easier to connect to the new pump and filter.
I would set the pump up such that is in direct line of the suction pipes and avoid the multiple 90 deg elebows leading to the pump.
Sounds like a plan! Thank you. I’m guessing it’s ok to use a 1.5 to 2 inch pvc reducer where the 1.5” pipes come out of the ground so the pipes to pump and filter will be 2”. I can’t even find a 400sqft filter with 1.5” anyways so would be best to buy the 3hp with 2” ports anyways.

Reactions: HermanTX
Anyone have a 400+ sqft cartridge filter they recommend? All the big names seem to be over $1000 then there are Rx Clear brand ones for $500. I also see the waterway brand on poolsupplyunlimited.com that is in the middle around 850.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.