Need New Ladder for Above Ground Pool with Deck

BFR

Mar 21, 2015
Austin, Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
We purchased a house with an existing above ground (about 60" high liner to top of cap) that had the 'wedding cake' type of stairs. The handrail rotted off below the water line and I cant seem to find another one. Any ideas?

If not, I'm not adverse to getting a new set of steps since the existing design is bad about collecting algae and blocking water flow. The kicker is that the deck does not reach the cap by some 6 inches, so many of the ladders I've seen won't work since they rely on the deck and cap being flush (or the cap being lower than the deck). Any ideas there? I had thought of this one: Model IN – 24 | Vinyl Works Canada

Thanks in advance!

What we had to do was put 2 2x4 blocks under the deck side of the ladder to connect it to the deck. My husband screwed the first block to the deck then the second one to the first one then the ladder to the second one.

Reactions: BFR
We also used the 2x4 route for our new steps... Not very pretty, but works like a charm.
I have these steps, I really like them.
I have the same stairs. I used to have 2x4, but I got sick of how they looked, plus attaching the screw down parts each season really chewed them up. So I built this thing out of composite decking. The handrails just lock into those two notches and and stairs don't move. As a side bonus, people like to sit drinks on the "arms" that extend over the water. I see I also have to touch up the deck stain (I re-stained it before I removed the winter cover)

2022-06-10_10-50-04.jpg

• Love
Reactions: BFR and kimkats
What we had to do was put 2 2x4 blocks under the deck side of the ladder to connect it to the deck. My husband screwed the first block to the deck then the second one to the first one then the ladder to the second one.

The delta between the deck and the top of the cap is about 8 inches in this case, but thanks for the idea!
(Edit: fixed an autocorrect stupidity)

Last edited:
Reactions: kimkats
I like those! And yes, I really don't like the design of the wedding cake we have. Not only does it block most of the flow it's also hollow inside allowing algae and general gunk to accumulate.

Off topic: I just realized what your photo is. I first encountered Doom in 1992 when a guy copied the installer onto 3.5" floppies for me. I didn't even have a soundcard at the time, but later when I did install one the sounds made the hair stand up on the back of my neck. :) Simpler times.

Here's where that snip came from. It's my desktop background at work.

I had to wait til the kids went to bed to play.

Attachments

• doom___pinky_demon_blocks_the_exit_by_elemental79-d5unxbd.jpg
    doom___pinky_demon_blocks_the_exit_by_elemental79-d5unxbd.jpg
    441.9 KB · Views: 2
Here's where that snip came from. It's my desktop background at work.

I had to wait til the kids went to bed to play.

I worked in that industry over 10 years. We did titles for Microsoft at first, then I moved to Ubisoft's Redstorm and some independent studios. It's fun, but it's grueling, and pays ~half of comparable jobs at "normal" companies. I had to get out when my kid was born.

Reactions: JoeSelf

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.