Need Help

joronimo

Jun 4, 2019
Phoenix, Az
Tested my water today and I have some questions.

1. pH is 7.0
  2. TA is 200 PPM
  3. CH is 400
  4. CYA is 30
  5. FC was pretty much 0.
I added a gallon of bleach based on the calculator in the app. What do I do about the TA and PH? App says to add 11 lbs borax to raise pH to 7.2 but TA says to aerate at 7.0.

I plan to retest tomorrow after work to determine chlorine. Then should I aerate and repeat testing to reduce the TA? Then add borax as needed? Any recommendations on how long to aerate, I have a small sprayer under the cooping.

Thanks In Advance!

With a TA of 200, your pH should rise. Aeration will help. Use the sprayer under the coping and anything else that will help. If you have a spa, set your returns to spa and allow it to overflow into the pool.

How's the water look? With an FC at 0, it may be advisable to do an overnight chlorine loss test.

One thing I've learned here is to make sure you have enough chlorine to combat algae first and foremost. With your FC at 0, you might want to add another gallon, at least. That's #1, Use the Pool Math calculator to guide you, but check in here and the experts here will walk you through every step. I just went thru an algae situation myself, with much-appreciated help. Good luck!!

With a TA of 200, your pH should rise. Aeration will help. Use the sprayer under the coping and anything else that will help. If you have a spa, set your returns to spa and allow it to overflow into the pool.

How's the water look? With an FC at 0, it may be advisable to do an overnight chlorine loss test.
The water looks clear, I knew the chlorine was low, just didn't expect that low. I will be testing and adjusting everyday this week. Thanks for the reply.

One thing I've learned here is to make sure you have enough chlorine to combat algae first and foremost. With your FC at 0, you might want to add another gallon, at least. That's #1, Use the Pool Math calculator to guide you, but check in here and the experts here will walk you through every step. I just went thru an algae situation myself, with much-appreciated help. Good luck!!
Thanks!

FYI -- a pH of 7 and a TA of 200 is chemically incompatible. The pH will rise quickly naturally. To get to a pH of 7 with that TA, acid must have been added just shortly before testing.

FYI -- a pH of 7 and a TA of 200 is chemically incompatible. The pH will rise quickly naturally. To get to a pH of 7 with that TA, acid must have been added just shortly before testing.
I retested and had a pH of 8 with TA of 200. FC came up to 2ppm, I will add another gallon of bleach as I am seeing some green around the corners which should give me around 6ppm. Then aerate to reduce the TA. Should that help with the pH?

You add acid to reduce the pH and TA. Then aerate to raise the pH.

If you have algae, that is first thing to deal with. Lower your pH to 7.2 and follow the SLAM Process

Reactions: imrodee
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.