Need help with pool water test results

Until I get the leak taken care of, do I get CYA up first or can I put the granular stabilizer in a sock right now and also dump in liquid chlorine?

I know a SLAM is in my immediate future because I’ve had some algae and can’t keep FC, but what is my first step starting tonight?

Granular stabilizer? And can I immediately put in liquid chlorine based on CYA of 0 for now? And then 30 min later put in acid to lower the pH?
Reduce your pH in .4 increments. Add muriatic acid to reduce pH by .4, use PoolMath to determine amounts, test pH 30 minutes later with pump running. Rinse and repeat until your pH is 7.2.

Then, add granular stabilizer, add 30ppm. Sock method. Carrot/stick in front of return.

Start your slam after pH is is down to 7.2. Use 10 FC as your target (again use pool math). When granular CYA is dissolved, use FC = 12 for your target.

Reactions: NCleavelin
Granular stabilizer? And can I immediately put in liquid chlorine based on CYA of 0 for now? And then 30 min later put in acid to lower the pH?
You can do the following:
1 - Fill a sock with the required amount of stabilizer for a CYA goal of 30.
2- At the same time, add enough muriatic acid to lower the pH to 7.2
3 - About 10 minutes later, add the liquid chlorine with an FC target of "12" and maintain it while you do everything else on the SLAM Process.

Good luck!

You can do the following:
1 - Fill a sock with the required amount of stabilizer for a CYA goal of 30.
2- At the same time, add enough muriatic acid to lower the pH to 7.2
3 - About 10 minutes later, add the liquid chlorine with an FC target of "12" and maintain it while you do everything else on the SLAM Process.

Good luck!
Just keep in mind that the stabilizer is going to drop your pH by 0.6 as it dissolves as well. This probably won't be a problem as your spa spillover and water feature will keep you from going too low, but it's something to keep an eye on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.