Need Help With Pool Slide

Sbkaylyn

Jan 20, 2021
Kissimmee
So I recently purchased a home with a pool slide, but I have no idea how to turn it on.
Its seems the home use to be used as a vacation home because there is a sign thats says “ turn on pool slide at main pool control”
Is the main pool control near the filter? Sorry i’m so lost. It is a typhoon pool slide by sr smith.
I don’t even know who I would call to assist me with this.
Attached are pictures for reference

Attachments

• A6DD60F9-E769-486D-99CC-E260C8146B75.jpeg
    A6DD60F9-E769-486D-99CC-E260C8146B75.jpeg
    28.7 KB · Views: 58
  • 8194CD3E-031D-497B-A155-E02728D671A5.jpeg
    8194CD3E-031D-497B-A155-E02728D671A5.jpeg
    136.6 KB · Views: 58
  • 0943671B-9F49-4FEC-835B-59CA5D094C0B.jpeg
    0943671B-9F49-4FEC-835B-59CA5D094C0B.jpeg
    74 KB · Views: 63
  • B785C8B9-FD27-4524-B52C-B2D111152C75.jpeg
    B785C8B9-FD27-4524-B52C-B2D111152C75.jpeg
    234 KB · Views: 64
Its hard to tell, but I would assume it is the valve at the far left of your last picture. Is it not labeled?

Do you have a spa?

It may be the return valve. What happens when you turn it 180 degrees?

Show us pics from the left side.

Pool slide.jpg

Oops, I missed Allen's captions, I did the same set!

While he's helping you with that...

It looks like you have a solar heater. And your solar system has an isolation valve, which is closed right now. It's important that you don't engage the solar heater, or it doesn't come on inadvertently, when that solar isolation valve is closed, because you'll be sending the flow from the pump nowhere, which can cause some damage (it's called "dead-heading your pump"). My system doesn't have such a valve. Sometimes they are used to make sure no water goes to the roof during the winter, because of freezing. But your solar valve and check valve are already providing that function, so your isolation valve is redundant.

Do you ever get freezing temps at night in Kissimmee? If not, you should open that valve so that there is no chance of a problem. My area gets much colder than yours, and that isolation valve is not needed here.

Were you told about the solar heater? Does it work? Do you see solar panels on the roof?

slide notes.jpg

By the way, welcome to TFP! Glad you found us. We'll be happy to help you sort out your equipment, and if you stick around we'll teach you the absolutely best way to take care of your water. If you're interested, we'll get you started...

Oops, I missed Allen's captions, I did the same set!

While he's helping you with that...

It looks like you have a solar heater. And your solar system has an isolation valve, which is closed right now. It's important that you don't engage the solar heater, or it doesn't come on inadvertently, when that solar isolation valve is closed, because you'll be sending the flow from the pump nowhere, which can cause some damage (it's called "dead-heading your pump"). My system doesn't have such a valve. Sometimes they are used to make sure no water goes to the roof during the winter, because of freezing. But your solar valve and check valve are already providing that function, so your isolation valve is redundant.

Do you ever get freezing temps at night in Kissimmee? If not, you should open that valve so that there is no chance of a problem. My area gets much colder than yours, and that isolation valve is not needed here.

Were you told about the solar heater? Does it work? Do you see solar panels on the roof?

View attachment 173375

Attachments

• 4BE7733D-E029-4D49-9BC4-53F52622E59D.jpeg
    4BE7733D-E029-4D49-9BC4-53F52622E59D.jpeg
    155.2 KB · Views: 39
  • 4B8869FB-63CA-4DB1-97B4-64D7CBF4CC4F.png
    4B8869FB-63CA-4DB1-97B4-64D7CBF4CC4F.png
    594 KB · Views: 41
  • 208E0CDB-AA7B-4152-8BD3-886718869C56.png
    208E0CDB-AA7B-4152-8BD3-886718869C56.png
    521.1 KB · Views: 38
I believe the roof was redone, so the solar panels were removed and they are just laying against the gate, it does get cold at night and in the early mornings in Kissimmee, to the point where we have to put the heat on up to 80 degrees.

In that case, leave your solar isolation valve alone. If that white box on the wall is your pool's circuit breakers, is there one dedicated to the solar heating system? It should be off. If you can't tell for sure, leave all that alone. Maybe post a picture of your breakers. Can you see any sort of brand name on the solar panels?

Regarding your slide: the two pipes that disappear into the ground: can you tell where they go? It sounds like you said you have a heater. Do those pipes go to and come from a gas heater or heat pump, not shown in your pics?

After noting its position, try turning the valve indicated slowly, no more than halfway (90°) for now, and see if water comes down your slide. If not, return the valve to the original position. If you have a spa, then that valve is probably for your spa, not your slide.

If there is in fact a heater located elsewhere, are there just two pipes leading into it? Or are there any valves over there? Pics please.

slide notes 2.png

Last edited:
Reactions: gingrbredman
This may sound silly, but did you also check the valve that is on the slide itself? There should be a valve under the ladder of the slide. On mine, there is a valve there where the water comes into the slide. Make sure that is open first.

slide valve.jpg

Reactions: Dirk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
gingrbredman, in your setup, where does the other end of that hose/pipe that feeds the slide originate?

Well, my pad isn't exactly completed yet, the PB has a bit of work to due in the spring at the pad in particular which is why my pool is still "under construction". Really, a lot to do, the slide being part of the automation for one, but a reconfiguration is in order, PB knows it, it "works" but not right yet.

Slide Valve.jpg

Right now, that valve will turn on the water to the slide. There is another valve on the slide itself which will ultimately stay open once the slide and the auto cover tie into the automation. But that is where mine is at, hopefully this helps the OP narrow down where his is.

One thing that helped me as I went through the pad, was to just turn valves and see what happened. I am very new to pools, so the understanding of "water in, then water out" and what all the valves did was new to me. Didn't think there was much hard in moving a valve here and there to see what happened.

If this pool was a rental place, and the sign says the control is at the pad, then one of them has to be it. Or as Dirk mentioned, somewhere else near the heater?

Yah, it's weird that it's not right there at the pad, like yours, unless its that three-way that we've asked the OP to try. I was thinking maybe the heater and slide were added in some sort of remodel, the heater had to go elsewhere, so that maybe the slide valve is near the heater for some reason?

I was able to find the lever thanks to you all but I now have a bigger issue. I was out of town for the last week for a travel assignment and now Ive gotten back my pool is almost empty

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    677.7 KB · Views: 19
“The solar has a bypass installed to block water flow to the solar, that bypass is no good and water is coming out the top” This is what was told to me. Would you guys recommend having the pool heating solar panels reinstalled or bypass it completed and install new plumbing?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    606.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 1BFFCAE4-5B4F-4FEF-A6EE-76E2AAD879B4.jpeg
    1BFFCAE4-5B4F-4FEF-A6EE-76E2AAD879B4.jpeg
    79.8 KB · Views: 24
Well, which would you like to tackle first!?!

It's very hard to help you diagnose the slide valve issue through the tiny windows (pics). I think someone said there might also be a valve on the slide itself. Did you find one? Make sure that's open. Start your pump and try different combinations of valves on and off. The three-way valves are pretty safe to experiment with, especially if you only turn them half way. The red-handled PVC shutoff valves are more dangerous to fool with, as they can close down flow completely and deadhead your pump, or expose your plumbing to air and drain your pool. Which might be what happened. So don't mess with those unless you are certain of what you are doing. Follow the pipes and imagine what turning a valve might do before turning it. Be sure there is always a plumbing path from the pump to the pool before you turn on the pump.

Yes, if the solar panels are still OK, you should reinstall them and get your solar heater running again.

Regarding the empty pool, yikes! What happened to all the water? Any evidence of where it went? Get it filled back up pronto, as an empty pool can lead to several different problems, some quite major. Once full, we'll get the pump going and see what we can find. Hopefully it's not a leak. Keep the pump off while filling it. As a troubleshooting step, you might add about 6" of water and then turn off the hose. See if it drains back down. If it does, that indicates a leak at the level it stops. If it doesn't drain down, then fill it up.

Well, which would you like to tackle first!?!

It's very hard to help you diagnose the slide valve issue through the tiny windows (pics). I think someone said there might also be a valve on the slide itself. Did you find one? Make sure that's open. Start your pump and try different combinations of valves on and off. The three-way valves are pretty safe to experiment with, especially if you only turn them half way. The red-handled PVC shutoff valves are more dangerous to fool with, as they can close down flow completely and deadhead your pump, or expose your plumbing to air and drain your pool. Which might be what happened. So don't mess with those unless you are certain of what you are doing. Follow the pipes and imagine what turning a valve might do before turning it. Be sure there is always a plumbing path from the pump to the pool before you turn on the pump.

Yes, if the solar panels are still OK, you should reinstall them and get your solar heater running again.

Regarding the empty pool, yikes! What happened to all the water? Any evidence of where it went? Get it filled back up pronto, as an empty pool can lead to several different problems, some quite major. Once full, we'll get the pump going and see what we can find. Hopefully it's not a leak. Keep the pump off while filling it. As a troubleshooting step, you might add about 6" of water and then turn off the hose. See if it drains back down. If it does, that indicates a leak at the level it stops. If it doesn't drain down, then fill it up.

i had someone come out and they stated The solar has a bypass installed to block water flow to the solar, and that bypass is no longer good so the pool water is coming out from there

You don't actually have a solar bypass, in a true sense. So you were misinformed. Refer to the drawings I did for you. I'm assuming all those valves are still in the same position as photographed.

Water leaves your filter and enters the solar valve where it is blocked by the current position of the valve and sent to the left, into a tee fitting. The water tries to go both up and down the tee. The water going up runs into the solar check valve and can't get past that. So it goes down, on to your heater, and then into the pool.

If the solar valve is turned, the water would then go up from the solar valve, but is currently being blocked by the solar isolation valve. I cautioned you about being sure not to engage the solar system, or allow the solar controller to do so, because the closed solar isolation valve would then deadhead your main pump and that is bad.

So technically the solar valve is "bypassing" the solar system, but a true solar bypass valve is a separate thing, used for a separate purpose, and you don't have one of those. Now if your "someone" stating "no longer good" was referring to the solar valve, or the solar check valve, and either of those is not effectively stopping the water from going up, then that would be a big problem and could explain why your pool is half empty.

I was going to get to that... Once you raise the water level 6" or so, with the pump OFF, and pause a bit to make sure it doesn't leak back down, then fill the pool. Then start your pump and see if water comes leaking or spewing out of either of the cut off PVC pipes up by your roof. Those steps will determine a lot. Report back here when you do those three things.

So, for future reference:

All PVC ball valves are junk. You have at least three that I can see. The solar isolation valve is a PVC ball valve. As are the two near the ground that look the same (red handles). All junk. In fact, the two near the ground serve no purpose, other than negative ones. If either is closed, you'll deadhead your pump. And one or both will eventually start leaking. All three should be removed and replaced with PVC pipe.

While I probably shouldn't declare your solar check valve as junk, it probably is. It's a cheap version of one, anyway. You need a proper Jandy check valve at that location, and a second one between the filter and the solar valve. You could replace the ball valve after the filter with a proper check valve and solve both of those problems at once. A Jandy check valve is a high quality component, it's repairable, and it has a clear cover that allows you to not only see if it's working or not, but also allows you to see water flowing through it. They look like this:

check valve.jpeg

Or you could install a Jandy check valve in place of the solar check valve, and a FlowVis in place of the ball valve after the filter. That would allow you to fine-tune your solar heater's efficiency. I can explain more about that some other time, if you're interested in that topic. You can retrofit a FlowVis onto a Jandy check valve body later, as an alternate option. A FlowVis is a check valve, so it serves as both a check valve and a flow meter.

So you've got some tasks. Fill the pool 6", confirm it's not leaking, then fill the pool 100%. Start the pump and report back here with what happens.

Later, perhaps if you reinstall the solar system, swap out the three PVC ball valves and the PVC check valve as described above.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.