Need help with Ascorbic Acid Treatment - Water is cloudy again.. Please help

Re: Starting Ascorbic Acid Treatment

The water is beginning to clear very quickly. Still going through chlorine pretty quickly. Have used about 10 gallons 10.5% since Saturday AM.
My understanding is that I am now committed to a regimen of Jacks pink stuff for the foreseeable future. Is this correct?

Starting Ascorbic Acid Treatment

The water became more cloudy overnight. Not sure why it would regress. I have been holding FC between 3-6 with doses every 3 hours or so. I am seeing CC come & go so I am hesitant to let FC drop below 3.
I am holding PH at 7.0 with almost no adjustments.
What would cause the clouding to increase at this point?

Latest test results
FC 5.5
CC .5
PH 7
TA 70
CH 250
CYA 40
Borates 50
Temp 74

I started an ascorbic acid treatment following the instructions provided on this site. Using Polyquat 60, Jack's Pink Stuff, and pure AA powder sourced from Duda Energy. I also have a Culater pack in the skimmer basket.
It took 9 lbs of AA but the stains finally lifted by Sunday AM. Rebalanced my chemistry and began holding FC at or just above the Min on the CYA chart by testing and adding chlorine about every 2 hours. The water clouded by Sunday night to the point I could no longer see the floor drain. I confirmed that this is normal so I pressed forward with the plan. I Followed this regimen fairly closely all week and the water has consistently cleared. Last night the water was looking good, I could see the screws in the floor drain cover.

However....
Woke up this morning to very cloudy water again. I can no longer see the floor drain. My test results are consistent with the rate of chlorine loss. I am continuing the same regimen of frequent testing and small doses of chlorine.

My question is, What changed? Is this normal?

I just received 4 more quarts of Jacks pink & am awaiting my sequestrant test kit so I can test before adding more sequestrant.

Test results this afternoon

FC - 4
CC - 0.5
PH - 7.0
TA - 70
CH - 250
CYA - 40
Borates 50
Water Temp 75

Radio check... is anyone seeing my posts? It is very odd that I am not getting any help or answers to my questions during this process. Usually get help pretty quickly so I am questioning my TFP account.

Re: Should I perform an ascorbic acid treatment?

It cleared up after a couple of days but I woke up this morning to cloudy water and it is getting worse. Did you experience that?
I am beginning to hold FC with just a tiny bit of CC <.5, PH holding at 7

I am riding it out given that don't have any other information to go on.

It is normal for the pool to cloud and it usually clears in 1 to 2 days.

Please don't start multiple threads for the same topic, I will go merge them together so people aren't trying to answer the same questions in multiple threads.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I put 2 quarts of jacks pink in on Sunday. Not sure when to add more.
Apologies for the multiple threads. I was getting no response to any questions on the old thread and assumed it was not visible to others

I am following the AA treatment instructions exactly but it does not address what to do when the water clouds a2nd time and continues to worsen. The lot additional instructions I see in the staining guide is to stuff polyfil in the skimmer. Assuming something needs to be filtered out. The question is what is it and why did it show up yesterday after the water had cleared?

Possibly even more cloudy this morning.
FC 4
PH 7.1
Adding acid to lower PH to 7
Adding chlorine to bring FC to 6
Adding 12oz Jacks pink this morning. Wife will give a noon update on progress. I have oredered a test kit but do not have it yet. Flying a little blind on adding sequestrant.

I am cleaning the filter daily but nothing seems to be on the filter but milky water. I am assuming this is iron particles. My clean filter pressure is up about 1.5 PSI from pre-treatment normal and i get very little pressure drop after cleaning. I have ordered a new cartridge because it appears that this filter is plugging with something that won't wash out.

Last edited:

Thanks for the feedback.
If I get through this with my sanity, I will create a detailed, easy to follow flow chart of this process to help others along.

Ascorbic Treatment to rid Pool of metal stains & Pool School - Pool Stains have great information to get you started but provide very little guidance for you once you start the process. I hope to fill in those gaps so others don't have to hunt the information down.

What is your CYA level? Try soaking your cartridge in TSP, trisodium phosphate, to loosen up the debris. More here, Re: How to clean a cartridge filter

Metal staining in a pool is the most difficult and inconsistent problem to deal with in a pool. Very few members have metal in their water or pools so not many folks can help other members. I personally have never had any metal staining in my water either.

FC beginning to hold. Was at 6 at noon. CC has been bouncing from .5 to 0, if I get that to hold at zero should I hold FC closer to 3? To help prevent stains from re-forming?
PH is stable at 7 with a slight tendency to drift up.

All other test parameters are rock steady

TA 70
CH 250
CYA 40
Borates 50

FC was almost zero at 6:30. No CC though. PH 7. Water still cloudy. New filter arrived today but they shipped the wrong one.
Soaked mine in TSP for 2 hrs, cleaned and re-installed. I did find that my pressure with no filter installed was higher than expected though about 1 psi lower than with the filter installed. Thinking the gauge may be off a bit. Hopefully the correct filter will arrive Sat.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.