Need help programming Hayward Superpump VS

abfab

Gold Supporter
Nov 12, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I've read the manual, checked the Hayward website and youtube but can't find detailed instructions to set up my newly installed pump so I'm hoping that someone here can help me. I previously had a dual speed pump without any control panel to deal with.

- How do I set it up to run 24-hours on low speed? Right now it's set to Timer1 which runs 12a-11:45pm. The other timers are set to Off. I tried to use Speed1 but it also seems to be time based.
- The default priming time is 8 minutes. Why so long? I changed it to 1 minute. Is that okay? Every time I changed modes while trying to figure out how to use this pump it starts the priming countdown again, which I find unnecessary.
- What speed should I set it to? I managed to change Timer1 to 1000 rpm. Not sure if that is too low/high?

The only options I need to set up are regular low speed, a higher speed to run my heater (no idea what speed it requires) and a higher speed to backwash. I used Quick Clean to backwash when opening the pool but find it's a little to high.

i would appreciate steps on how to set these up as well as any advice on optimal settings.
Thanks.

Why do you want to run it 24 hours a day? That is just a waste of electricity.

You will have to experiment to determine the minimum speed that still provides the SWG with an adequate flow rate. You also might want some run time at a higher speed so that your skimming works correctly.

Yes I know that I should but being used to having it run 24-7 on low speed I want to get used to this pump before making changes. My old one was very basic so it's going to take me a while to figure out all the options and settings and to optimize the run time.
To get adequate flow rate for the swg do i just turn on and increase speed until the low flow rate light turns off?
How do I set up the heater? Do i assign it to one of the Speed buttons? It seems to want a time assigned. Do I just set a max time and manually turn it back to Timer when I'm done? The manual doesn't provide any direction.

I have no idea how the programming for that pump works. Check the manual ... which are notoriously hard to understand :D

To find the speed for the SWG, you just bump it up until the flow is adequate, and then a little higher to account for flow reduction when the filter gets dirty.

Go to Super Pump VS | Pumps | In Ground Pool Pumps - Hayward Pool Products
Click on the Manuals tab to download your manual
Start at page 19 (Sec 6.3) to read about the User Interface Summary. The timer menu starts on page 22 (Sec 6.7)

If you want to run 24hrs set the timer to 1200 - 1200 but it's not necessary. I don't have a SWG but I set my speed at 1500 for filtering and run my pump for 4 hours every day. For cleaning, I run my pump at 3250 for 4 hours on Sat, Sun, Mon. I have an auto cover so my pool doesn't really get very dirty.

Follow the recommendation in post #4 above for your SWCG to function.

Assuming your SuperPump VS shares the same controller with Tristar VS, you need to program the Timer as follows to run 24/7:
Timer 1: Start = 7:00 am, Stop = 7:00 pm, Speed = your preference
Timer 2: Start = 7:00 pm, Stop = 7:00 am, Speed = your preference

You can however overlap Timer 2 with Timer 1, it doesn't matter! As mentioned in the manual, Timer 1 has to complete the preset Start-Stop time before Timer 2 kicks in.

To turn OFF or deactivate a timer, Start time and Stop time should be the same. Example: Start = 7:00 am, Stop = 7:00 am

As you may already know, you cannot set the min and max speed outside the allowable speed of 600-3450 RPM. Quick Clean and Prime will use the preset max speed of your choice. Mine prime @3000 rpm max for 5 mins. By default, the Speed button has 30 mins increment and I use Speed 3 (2500 rpm) to run my heater for 30 mins or longer if needed. The programmed timer will resume once the Speed or Quick Clean cycle is complete.

Hope this helps.

Thank you! When I tried 12am-12am it set it to off and I hadn't thought about splitting the timers. Will it prime again when it switches even if all the settings are the same?
Is there an easy way to turn the Speed setting off and go back to the timer without turning the pump off? I have Speed2 (heater) set to run for 4 hours. If I want to stop it earlier the only option I see is to press Stop/Resume then press it again. Seems strange to me that I would have to go through the process of priming again just to lower the speed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.