Need help picking a heater

May 12, 2015
Dallas, Texas
I have a pool + spa and live in Texas where we keep our pool filled all year.

My original Hayward heater has rusted, and would rather replace than repair.

Can someone suggest a starting point to figure out which heater to buy? I'm leaning towards a 400K BTU Pentair, but the different metal types are confusing me.

Consider a Raypak heater. It is a natural draft heater without the complexity of a forced draft fan.

Pentair MasterTemp is a good heater. It has a smaller form factor than the Raypak due to the use of a blower creating a forced draft. However the forced draft has more complex parts and is more costly to repair when there is a problem with the fan or associated components.

Every heater rusts out eventually. Heaters are commodities. The only real differentiation is if a heater has natural draft or forced draft.

I have a Pentair 400k gas heater. Our pool / spa combo is 8500 gallons. The spa is about 500+ gallons of that. Our PB suggested go as big as you can on heater to heat spa up faster. It takes about 45+ minutes to heat from mid 40's to 92 degrees. Hope that helps in your decision

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.