need help on chlorine , stabilizer and algicide

If your CYA is 50ppm, then you should NEVER be letting the FC drop below 4ppm. That is too low. You need to target around 7ppm to ensure it does not drop too low by the next day when you test and adjust again.

See the FC/CYA Chart.

- - - Updated - - -

Technically your pool is not safe if the FC is less than 4ppm.
You can get in after 30 minutes of circulation after adding the chlorine.

I fear you are not staying on top of the pool and are going to have an algae bloom soon, if it has not started already.

Well, then post all the required test results so that we provide good advice.
You have yet to state what test kit you are using.

So, stop talking to pool stores if you do not want conflicting answers. ;)

My cya has dropped. That's all 30 min. I was getting sucj different opinions some say 2-3 hours others 12 hours

Yes, 30 minutes with pump on. Or . . . if you think we are wrong :suspect: call HTH, it's their product and they would be the experts.

Are you testing or is the pool store testing for you ?? If you have a testing kit, what kit ??

Can you understand when you say your CYA has dropped it doesn't really tell "us" anything other than you now have less than 50. How much less ?? If you don't tell us the numbers to work with we have no idea what you are doing or trying to achieve.

"poolmath says if i add 73% cal-hypo will raise fc by 1.2ppm.... i added 150g of 70%, my target is 4ppm"

Same with this. I hesitate to say worthless but look at it. If you add how much 73% cal-hypo will it raise FC by 1.2ppm ??

What is your CYA at now and what is your target FC ?? :testresults:

my cya is now 45. i dont listen to pool stores advice i just go there to get water samples. im just using test strips when i dont goto pool store. i checked all the bigbox stores they dont have proper test kits. i lll check if the pool store has, do u guys have some that u recommend that i can get online? thx

i think i do have to get my out test kit. pool store is now telling me i have 80cya? how is this possible i havent even added any. the only thing i can think of is when i took a water sample the pump was not running could this affect it that much???

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The CYA should be uniform ... and this happens to be the test that the pool stores are the worst at. There is a reason we do not trust pool store testing ... looks like you are starting to see why ;)

The difference in CYA reading is proof that pool store testing is a waste of time. You need to get a quality test kit as previously recommended.

I wouldn't go so far as to say a waste of time but the problem is they aren't always accurate and you do need to watch your results for something that doesn't look right. Like the way you caught that your CYA jumped 30 and you did nothing. Worst thing is if you go back tomorrow and have it tested it might be back at 50 !! I've had that happen.

i went to another pool store today. my cya is 20ppm. which i believe cause i have done afew back washes and added water. and haven't added cya.
so for my pool i should target for 40ppm cya?
also i have these chlorinating pucks; are they just chlorine or have stabilizer-cya too? how many pucks should i put in the floating dispenser???

Did you not order a test kit 2 weeks ago???

I am not going to offer advice based on obviously flawed pool store testing.

All tablets have stabilizer in them ... read the name in your picture.

Did you not order a test kit 2 weeks ago???

I am not going to offer advice based on obviously flawed pool store testing.

All tablets have stabilizer in them ... read the name in your picture.

yes i have ordered it, it has not arrived yet tho. can u help me in the mean time.
should i be using the pucks? if so how many.
i thought the pucks were just chlorine. so they are not chlorine? they are just cya? how much cya is in them

i have 800g of granular stab from aquachem, pool math is telling me to add 1700g to get to 40ppm of cya . i will add the 800g in the mean time before i go out to the store again. whats the best way to add it, mix in a bucket and let dissolve either or directly in skimmer?

Read: Recommended Pool Chemicals for how to add chemicals.

Use PoolMath at the bottom to see the effect of trichlor tablets in your pool.
ok thanks. whats the weight of a single tablet tho? why do they market these pucks as chlorine then its confusing.
so they aquachem stab i have is just trichlor also?
i guess if i get my cya to the target i dont need the pucks. cause the pucks dissolve so slowly is hard to get a accurate measure on them

wow 800g of trichlor will raise by fc by 8.6, im currently at 5ppm so then it will be at 13.6 wont it be too high to swim in?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.