need help finding air leak

LSue

Jun 17, 2020
Fresno, CA
Recently changed the grids (and manifold- which was terribly broken- and stand pipe oring and reinforced gasket that goes around the tank belly .... oh, and also pump basket and pump basket lid’s oring) of my hayward DE filter. Air is finding its way into the top of the filter tank, but NO bubbles in pump basket or coming out return lines. I don’t get it. Pressure is fine, maybe a touch low at 10. Flow rate is fine both in and out. From where could the air be entering to get air in the tank but no bubbles coming out the return jets.
Was I supposed to lube that belly gasket? I usually lube (silicone based) orings, but I saw a note on the web page when I was ordering this reinforced gasket NOT to lube it, so I did not lube it.
I have worked so hard to fix the system this year. (the old grids were all broken inside and the old manifold was cracked up beyond belief, the old tank gasket was leaking ... just a mess this year)
I bought a new spider gasket and spring for the multiport valve, but figured I would wait until end of season to mess with that ... I am tuckered out from all this.
Thank you in advance for any help.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: So let's make sure we're looking for the same issue. Just about everything you mentioned above is on the pressure side of the system (after the pump) except for the pump basket (pot). So none of those items after the pump will show bubbles in the return jets or pump basket. But what can happen in those areas is when the system is OFF, it can allow air to seep "in" and make water move around (i.e. backwards). The leak is so tiny you don't' always see water spurting out as you might imagine on the pressure side. Common areas of air leaks on the pressure side are the filter (connections, pressure gauge, etc).

Now if you do see bubbles from the returns jets or in the pump basket/pot, that could be a sign of a suction side air leak anywhere from the pool side skimmer to the pump. The most common areas there are 3-way valves, connections, or the O-ring under the clear lid (damaged or not lubed).

So give those areas a look and let us know if you still need some help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.