Need Guidance on Use of Pool Cover

Mandy

Silver Supporter
Jul 5, 2017
Dubbo Australia
Living in the country of “Droughts & Flooding Rains” Australia, we are currently experiencing a very severe drought which has led our regional council to enforce water restrictions. On the first of October we will no longer be allowed to top-up our swimming pools unless we "have a cover in place whenever the pool is not in use”. The alternative which is not an option as we approach our very hot summer is to close the pool once the water level drops below the skimmer box.

We will be purchasing a cover (and roller) to be compliant and are looking at the Daisy Cool option – it doesn’t heat the water which is good as we don’t want it to get any warmer than it does!

Our pool will go for several more weeks without any use. I’ve done some searching here and have found reference to removing the cover every week (or so?) to allow the removal of CC’s. How often is best and for how long at a time?

Can you use a pool robot and run your SWG whilst the cover is in place?

Can you add chemicals – most likely acid to lower pH with the cover in place?

We are not able to use a hand held hose for cleaning surfaces outside (including the pool cover) – I’m wondering about the practicalities of this. I guess I could blow any dust/leaves/pollen into the skimmer? If we are lucky enough to get any rain then I imagine the top of the cover would get very dirty especially as we are and will be prone to further dust storms. So I guess you just roll it onto the roller and hope for the best that all the mess doesn’t land in the pool?

Once we are using the pool the cover will be rolled on and off on a fairly consistent basis.

Can existing cover users please offer any experience/advice for a first time user?

Many thanks

I keep my cover on pretty much the whole time during summer to conserve the water and save my chlorine. Obviously we take it off when we swim which should be ample time to provide some UV rays to break down the CCS. In the off season I will take it off for an hour or so about once a week.
You can add chemicals with the cover on although if your adding acid your probably best to ensure that’s it’s pulled right back away from the area you will be adding it. If in doubt roll it up.
You can use a robot and SWG under the cover although you may find that it doesn’t cover the area as efficiently as the free movement of the cord will be affected.

I don’t really do too much else to my cover and it’s gojng on for 5 years although we don’t live in a super dusty area. Maybe use a blower vac to blow off any dust or debris.

By the way Daisy pool covers are fantastic.

Reactions: sadohert
if the cover is dry you can sweep most of the crud that lands on the cover to a spot you can reach and scoop most of it off. Whatever is left will pretty much fall off into the pool when you roll up the cover. It will leave a cloud but it dissapates quickly and ultimately gets filtered or picked up by the robot/vacuum. And if you do get rain, try to brush the collected water off the cover because it gets stagnant and gross rather quickly just like any other puddle.

Thank you both for your replies, your information is much appreciated. One other query I have is regarding the CYA and FC levels. With a SWG I maintain between 70-80 CYA and usually run my FC a bit higher than is required just so I have a buffer in place. Do you need to keep FC levels below a certain level with a cover in place?

With my autocover and SWG I tend to keep the CYA a skosh lower than recommended....like 50-60ish. WIth the cover in place FC will not leave that fast (no UV!) so it too can be a bit lowered so you don't waste your SWG hours.

Maddie. :flower:

You may consider a UV system If you plan on keeping the pool covered all the time except when swimming. It all depends on the CC level. Anything .5 and under is acceptable but if it remains at a higher level and the other numbers are spot on, it may be a good idea.

Thanks again for the replies. So it would appear the cover will not be damaged from running a highish FC, that being the case I’ll continue with that strategy during times of high bather load and drop it back a bit during quieter times. I guess there’ll be some trial and error initially until I see how FC demand is impacted.

One of the other characteristics of CYA is that it buffers the harshness of chlorine. Keeping in mind that the effectiveness of FC is relative to the CYA level. Therefore, running a higher FC to suit a higher CYA level is often less harsh than a traditional pool running a lower FC with little or lower levels of CYA. Overall the sun will kill off your cover before the chlorine does.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.