Need direction

Jun 20, 2008
Kentucky
Poolife turbo shock(Calcium hypochlorite 78%) has been used in my pool for 4 days(pool store opened pool while I was out of town) I was told the pool was cloudy on opening and each of the 4 days it has cleared some with them putting turbo shock in each day. The pool is hazy today. U can see the bottom. Shallow end is a little hazy with the deep end being more hazy.
Fc 2.5
Cc0
Ph 7.8
Ta 120
Cya 10

I did let the pool store test the water and actually their results was pretty close to mine. However they tested for phosphates which was 2761 and of course they wanted me to buy phosphate removal. I have never addressed phosphates but with the number that high so I need to???

Question—can I now begin using bleach since they added turbo shock again last night
Question— do I add cya now
Question—do I need to backwash before anything is done. Only been backwashes 2 days ago. Vacuuming has been done everyday
Thanks!
Inground pool 21,000 gallons
Vinyl liner
Sand filter

Did you test your calcium level? Not as important with a liner vs plaster, but it might be contributing to the cloudiness.

Yes, you can add bleach anytime. I would also do a OCLT.

1. Yes, you can start using bleach now.
  2. Yes, you need to get your CYA up to at least 40. You can add that now.
  3. Are you vacuuming to waste? If not, and your pressure is 25% above normal, then backwash.
I agree with Jim above, do an OCLT on your water to see what your overnight chlorine loss is. If it's more than 1, you need to SLAM. We'll get this pool clear and sparkling yet!

Last edited:
It was not vacuumed to waste. Not much visible debris in the pool but still vacuuming everyday. I’ll do an overnight chlorine loss tonight. Calcium reading is 140(pool store reading) What do u think about the phosphates? Always was told not to worry about that.

It was not vacuumed to waste. Not much visible debris in the pool but still vacuuming everyday. I’ll do an overnight chlorine loss tonight. Calcium reading is 140(pool store reading) What do u think about the phosphates? Always was told not to worry about that.
Phosphates are food for algae. No phosphates, no algae. Seems simple. But... No algae doesn't mean the water is sanitary. No algae doesn't mean no fecal bacteria, no viruses. That's why you need residual chlorine in the water. It kills that stuff before it can spread. And guess what else? It kills algae spores. So if you have sufficient chlorine in the water to make it safe to swim, you already have enough to prevent algae. You don't need Phosphate remover as badly as the pool store clerk needs the sale.

On a more practical level, Phosfree tends to cloud water, especially if it's already got algae clouding it. Use the search box up above for "milky". Read a few threads that show up. You'll discover a common factor--- phos-free. You're already fighting cloudiness, don;t make it worse!

I’m Having trouble with getting the ph down for a week it’s ranging from 7.6 to 7.8. Mostly 7.8 All other numbers have been ok. I put in 1.5 lbs in last night. But days past I have put 2 lbs in and nothing changes. Also when the guy opened my pool he turned the jet up in the deep end and I cannot get it to turn at all chlorine has been holding at night but has dropped today. 98 today

Today’s reading
Fc 1.5 ( it’s been 98 today)
Cc 0
Ph 7.8
Ta 100
Cya 30
Also I do have tablets in the inline chlorinator
Question—- what do I need to add if anything tonight??Chlorine? Ph down or both
Question — is the jet being turned upward causing any ph problem

... I put in 1.5 lbs in last night. But days past I have put 2 lbs in and nothing changes...
1.5/2lbs = Of What?

Today’s reading
Cc 0
Ph 7.8
Ta 100
Cya 30
I would strongly suggest to get liquid pool chlorine (might be called liquid shock) and get chlorine in your pool!
Please no cal-hypo, your vinyl pool doesn't need extra calcium.
Have you used PoolMath to target PH/7.4 and lower with muriatic acid (not dry acid)
Your CYA is okay, but use caution if you continue using tablets since CYA (aka stabilizer) is established.

Yes add liquid chlorine (target FC/5-6) and use muriatic acid to target PH/7.4 PoolMath (be sure to change to your pool's parameters)

I’m Having trouble with getting the ph down for a week it’s ranging from 7.6 to 7.8. Mostly 7.8 All other numbers have been ok. I put in 1.5 lbs in last night. But days past I have put 2 lbs in and nothing changes. Also when the guy opened my pool he turned the jet up in the deep end and I cannot get it to turn at all chlorine has been holding at night but has dropped today. 98 today

Today’s reading
Cc 0
Ph 7.8
Ta 100
Cya 30
There's nothing wrong with 7.6 -7.8 pH.

You've been putting in 1.5 and 2 lbs of what?

You need chlorine. 1.5 FC is too low for 30 CYA. Return jets pointed up will raise pH.

Sorry I put 1.5 lbs of ph down. I have tried to turn that jet down and it is impossible. I don’t know what they have done. Yes I will put chlorine in tonight which will probably raise the ph more??? But raising the ph is ok?? Thank u!!!

Sorry I put 1.5 lbs of ph down. I have tried to turn that jet down and it is impossible. I don’t know what they have done. Yes I will put chlorine in tonight which will probably raise the ph more??? But raising the ph is ok?? Thank u!!!
No worries on the PH for now :) It's something you can focus on after your FC is raised and stable :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok. The chlorine has been stable. Just today was a drop but I thought that the 90+ temps the past two days caused the chlorine to drop that low
Once you have liquid chlorine (either from plain 6% bleach or 10% liquid pool shock), and can raise your FC/6, test it after 15-30min (pump must be running) and see if it holds. That will tell us the next steps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.