George Whitzel

Jul 23, 2017
San jose, california
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
I had green algae and used the SLAM method. The water is now blue and there is remains of dead algae at bottom of pool. How to I remove it and get the water clear again?

Current pool readings are
FC 5
CH 350
CYA 60
TA 100

If you still have visible algae, the SLAM is not complete. It’s a process, not a one and done thing.

Have a look at this:

SLAM

Maintain the SLAM level
FC until the water is crystal clear. Otherwise the algae may dominance again. Brush and vacuum. Skimmer socks or hairnet in your skimmer basket may help you get some of the dead algae out before it hits the filter. Clearing the last phase of cloudy blue with white dead algae takes a little time with a sand filter.

I think I have turned the corner on the algae removal as I can now see the bottom of the pool again. I will continue SLAMing and brushing until I see the pool is crystal clear. Thanks for everyone's help and advice.

I will continue SLAMing and brushing until I see the pool is crystal clear.
No, please read the directions on SLAMing your pool in the How To section of Pool School and follow that procedure completely to the end.

That is:

- CC is 0.5 or lower;

- You pass an OCLT (ie overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less);

- The water is clear. (including no visible algae)

When all three are true, you are done SLAMing and can allow the FC to drift down to normal levels.

What test kit are you using?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.