Need advise—algae

Jun 20, 2008
Kentucky
Not had any problems with the pool this summer until now. The last 3 days by evening the pool is looking dingy. Each day I have vacuumed and u can see algae dust being vacuumed. All is good of the morning but by evening it’s looking dingy again. I have kept the filter running non stop since this has been occurring. This evening. Same thing. This time instead of vacuuming I brushed a little and u can see algae dust and even as I brushed the steps u see dust. It has rained a lot I added 1/2 gallon 10% chlorine on Tuesday but nothing since.
Todays results
CL 3.0
CC 0
Ph 7.4
TA 60— today is first time I tested this in several weeks
Cya I am not sure. Don’t have any more solution but last time I checked it was at 40

Should I vacuum or brush or both tonight?
Should I shock for cya of 40?
Or what should I do?
Thanks!

You do not know what your CYA is at.. Without knowing CYA you do not know what to have your FC at.. How much liquid chlorine are you adding daily? Are you taking FC to 6 daily?

Reactions: Newdude
I don’t know cya for sure but that doesn’t usually change much does it? If anything I would think it would be lower cause we have had a lot of rain this week? I did have it at 6. It isn’t now. 3.0 now. I brushed it about an hour ago and it’s clear and showing now signs of algae dust at the present. Since I don’t have any solution to test cya would u suggest to add a gallon of 10% tonight which would bring it to 8?

Could use some advise please. Kept pool at 6 all day. Pool remained crystal clear no visible algae Visible. I even brushed and there was no algae dust. Now it’s evening thr pool looked dingy so I brushed and there is algae dust. Please help

You need to test and confirm your CYA level and then perform the SLAM Process.

You might check Walmart or Home Depot for a test kit with a liquid CYA test. The liquid CYA tests are all the same and will get you an accurate answer with which you can properly dose your FC for the SLAM.

I Never use pool store results. But in this case where I’m out of solution and there is no where to buy it by tomorrow I must use pool store cya results Only to try to judge my cya level cause apparently I am not getting to the proper slam level. I assume that’s what u r trying to tell me???

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I Never use pool store results. But in this case where I’m out of solution and there is no where to buy it by tomorrow I must use pool store cya results
If you had ordered it yesterday, instead of looking for an easy way out, it would have been here tomorrow. I'm sorry but tough love time. You knew you were out since you ran out. Now all of a sudden it's an emergency by tomorrow. The CYA test at the pool store is one of the WORST ones we see and I've seen them be off by 100 at times.

You need to know where you actually are. Keep your FC up until you get a refill.

Reactions: Donldson
Ok im not going to be rude back to u. Not looking for an easy way out. There is no emergency whatsoever here. I don’t need the solution tomorrow. And it’s not tough love time for me! just so u know My order was placed yesterday. Amazon isn’t fast like they used to be or at least not where I live as my order won’t arrive until next Wednesday. I agree pool store numbers are the worse but knowing that I was at 40 beginning of the season and cya doesn’t usually change I think seeing what they get while waiting until Wednesday is ok. And I am keeping my fc up. Thanks

Do you have plenty of 0870 and 0871 ? When you SLAM you'll be using a bunch of each. If you're stuck waiting anyway you might as well order the others if you'll run out mid SLAM, and they will take time also.

I don’t know cya for sure but that doesn’t usually change much does it?
Mine does change. I lose about 10 per month. Can't explain it, but some members here have reported the same. I test it weekly, boost to 60 when needed (I'm not recommending that for you, I just know how my pool acts) then let it drift down to 45-50 and add more.. I'm happy with that. My guess is that you in fact lost CYA.

I know I will be a heretic, but I'm also a realist. Order the CYA solution now (I think you already did?). Get the pool store results and start the SLAM now with the best info you have until you get reagents. You *may* waste some Chlorine, or not have enough with the pool store results, but it will get you started, and won't do any harm. However, understand that without accurate test, it may not actually reduce the SLAM time necessary. It may hold it at bay until you have good test results. Adjust your slam when you receive the solution to do the test at home. Will get you on the way.

You *may* waste some Chlorine, or not have enough with the pool store results, but it will get you started, and won't do any harm.
You may also damage your equipment or bleach your liner if the SLAM level is incorrect and you overchlorinate. Typically the pool store tests very high for CYA which would leave lots of unbuffered FC for possible damage. In this case maybe they tell you it’s a 30 and it’s almost 0. I have literally seen them be +50 to 100 here more times than I can remember.

You may also damage your equipment or bleach your liner if the SLAM level is incorrect and you overchlorinate. Typically the pool store tests very high for CYA which would leave lots of unbuffered FC for possible damage. In this case maybe they tell you it’s a 30 and it’s almost 0. I have literally seen them be +50 to 100 here more times than I can remember.
Good catch!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.